Monday, May 13, 2013

5/10 - A whole lotta stuff



Friday was another day back at the box though I was hurting everywhere from ‘Jackie’ – seriously, she’s a bit of a b@#$%... Biceps, triceps, hamstrings, abs… ouch.

Since it was “Friday Fun Day” we were split into two teams for a longer version of the burpee leap frog game that was part of one of the WODs at Affiliate Cup.  The first person lays down and then the next jumps over them (sideways) and then lays parallel about an arms length apart then each subsequent person does burpees in between each pair until they are at the end and lay down.  The next person goes when the previous one is lying on the ground.  Once everyone is on the ground then the first person gets up and goes down the line until everyone has gone through everyone else.  It went quite fast and since I was the second person on the ground I had the entire group mostly to burpee over.  The trick I find with this one is to not get very high when you stand up – basically just enough to ‘superman’ over the person and they hit the floor again.  I went fast, didn’t get high at all and laughed my ass off.  It was great – everyone else found it funny too but it worked.

We then jumped right into the days WODs.

Strength
Dead Lift
Every 2nd minute for 10 minutes complete 3 Deadlifts @ 85% of your 1RM.
85kg

Then

5 x 5 Bent Over Rows
30kg

Then;
12, 9, 6
Wallball 20/14lb
Plyo Push Up
3:49 (14lb wall ball to 10’, no clap on push-up just up off of floor)

Was supposed to go with 90kg on the deadlifts but working up to that got hard quite quickly and I figured I’d rather stay with good form at 85kg than push it.  Turns out it was a good idea for a few reasons – my back still felt it all on Saturday and also because (as Calen pointed out to Steph and I after we’d finished) that we actually had the fat bar and therefore it was harder on us.  Figures.  Made us better though so there’s that.

The bent over rows were just awkward.  We decided to go lighter on them as neither of us had ever done them before so that worked.  Not a huge fan of them though.

The WOD was fun, super fast though I decided I’d aim for the men’s target rather than the women’s so that when I have to do wall balls in competition they (might) feel easier.  I ate a wall ball in the round of 12 and thought I had a bleeding lip, turns out I only had a scrape on my chin.  My biceps (that were already killing from ‘Jackie’) definitely felt the brunt of this WOD again between the high wall balls and the push-ups.  I didn’t give up though nor change the target or the push-ups I’d started with (on my toes but just getting my hands off the ground – no clap).  It was nice to have Cam there cheering me on/ counting for me after most people were finished.  I needed it as I was doing sets of 2 push-ups on the round of 9 and 6.

Skills
Before class (having been inspired by Brendo’s effort the night before on ‘Jackie’) I got to playing around with butterfly pull-ups again.  I managed about 4 sets of 4 which made me quite happy.  Need to work on switching the rhythm in my to keep the flow but definitely a solid effort.  I’m in that phase right now where I am (getting) stronger but don’t actually feel like it.  A weird place but still.

1 comment:

  1. awesome about your butterfly pullups jac! you coming down to southern on sat/sun?
    tim

    ReplyDelete