Tuesday, February 8, 2011

I'm running my first half marathon in 6 days...

I've never really explained 'why' I signed up for a half marathon but now that it's less than a week away I figured I'd capture those thoughts now - it might add a little insight or take away the fear for someone else of the challenge...

Back at the end of October I decided that I needed motivation to run through the winter - I'm a paddler

- I paddle many miles all summer long but needed that extra boost of cardio and I knew I needed motivation to get my shoes on and my feet moving...

This motivation was FEAR... I knew that if I signed up for a 5 or 10k I could just show up and get through it (don't hate me) but it would HURT a lot... it wasn't enough because it was the training - the weekly miles - that I was after.  So a half it was - it intimidated me and I knew that if I didn't get some distance in before then I wouldn't make it to the end.  And that is my goal... TO FINISH.

Some tips that have definitely helped:

-I told all my IRL friends before signing up that I was planning on doing it and I felt their support.  This made a big difference - be vocal about this and you'll be held accountable by those around you even if it's just by them asking how the training is going.

-I was realistic about the time I'd commit to running each week (3 days) and found a training plan that matched my commitment level - it's a three day a week run/walk plan that can be found here.

-I learned that sometimes just putting on your shoes is the hardest part.  That your body can do it but it's your mind that holds you back.  Just do it!

-I wasn't hard on myself if I missed a run but made sure to not let this be the norm - I tried to get on track for the next one.

-I found a friend to run with on the longer runs as I'm not comfortable running outside on my own in the dark and winter training means it's dark after work.

-I found this very supportive Fitblr community which has been a bigger inspiration than I could have ever realized - hearing about everyone else doing their training (for whatever distance) has inspired me to just put on my shoes and get out there.

-I realized that some days it's ok to just throw out what the workout calls for and just run - to keep it fun, to ensure that I just do it.

And so... in 6 days I will start (and finish!)  my first ever half marathon.  I am mentally prepared for my race - I plan to walk the first minute of every mile and run to the next mile marker which means I'll have 13 pieces, I can wrap my head around this (as some training has already had 12 piece workouts) and it means that if I run faster then I get to that 'resting' walk sooner.

I know my body is capable because of the training I have done and I'm already proud of some of the distances I have covered because of this goal.  I know I can do this and I'm excited to continue running even after this is over.

So think of me out there next Sunday morning and I'll let you know how it all turns out...

No comments:

Post a Comment