Saturday, March 19, 2011

9 days to go... aka how I celebrated St. Paddy's Day

Skipped out on work early last night to go for a run with my friend JD and his awesome (1 year old) twin girls (note: they weren't running but chilling out in their stroller...hee).

Met him at his place for what I was thinking would be 4 miles (6.4km) and when I mentioned this his reply was - I thought you said 8k  (5 miles)... oops, yes, that was on the training plan (though my head had believed all day that I only had to run 4, ugh!)

At least I had a good idea of how far this run would take us - from his place (near kits pool) to granville bridge would be approx. 3 so a bit past that and back... ready set go.

Since I was thinking we had a mile less to run than we did I changed the pieces from 10 on 1 (which I've been doing a lot lately) to 8 on 1.  We maintained a pretty solid pace through out of approx. 6:15 min/km (approx. 9.8 km.hr avg), 9.84 min/mile (6.1 mph)...  yay!

Not long after we started the rain started lightly but then the sun came out and the downpour proceeded - yes, pouring rain and sunny (only in Vancouver?).  It was warmer than I'd expected and mostly sunny after the brief bought of rain and a great run.  Glad to have finished it but nice to change it up a bit too.

Got my arm workout in afterward playing with the girls - they were quite enjoying me lifting them overhead to see themselves in the mirror and I was their new climbing gym it seemed.  Great fun (minus the being peed on twice...haha, to be expected I guess during naked baby time)

I do have to admit however that on my way home I snuck past McD's to grab a (finally back) Shamrock Shake that I've been craving for quite some time - just for memory sake - we used to have them when I was younger - and although they say they are mint flavoured they are some odd green flavour with a hint of mint - it's distinct though - they are exactly how I remembered them.

A great way to spend March 17th - no hangover for me today!



Photo: Dingle Ireland 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment