Tuesday, November 13, 2012

11/12 - max box jump and back squats

Quick update on last night’s WOD…


Spoiler… my vertical jump was over half my body height… awesome.

WOD
3-3-3
Strict press
Max box jump (vertical leap)
33”
Then
3-3-3
front back squat
45-55-60-65

I modified both movements because of my shoulder (resting until Affiliate Cup).  I didn’t want to do heavy deadlifts again so Coach Tim and I thought max. box jump would be a good one and give me another score on the PR boards.  It was awesome.  Going into it I was aiming for 32” as this is a pretty standard boy height.  I started with 5 reps at 24” and 28” which were easy.  I was actually able to rebound on the 28” box which was wicked (I want to incorporate some 28” box jump reps into a WOD when I can).  After the 28” I started adding 10kg plates and this is where it became mental as I was afraid of faceplanting – there is no graceful way to bail on a (very high) box jump.  I managed the first plate and then stared down the two plates for a while before making it.  I decided to go for the 3 plates and it took a lot mentally including Coach Tim watching me attempt it.  He said I cleared it easily but I was done for the day – a bit too afraid to go any higher.  I was quite happy though when I measured it at 33” (84cm) – I’m 165cm (65”).

Although I had done backsquats on Sunday I didn’t want to push my shoulder with heavy weight in the rack position so I did them again.  I was well off my 3RM of 75kg but I’m okay with that as I don’t want to be sore and tired for Saturday.  The weight felt good as did my form – really engaging the glutes and keeping my knees out.

Went home and slept for 11 hours last night – wasn’t planning on it but apparently my body felt differently about it.  I really needed it though.  Back to the box tonight but going a bit easier tonight and tomorrow before two full rest days going into the comp.

No comments:

Post a Comment