Wednesday, November 7, 2012

11/6 - Legs not Shoulders


Apparently Coach Tim caught yesterday’s blog post before I got to the box last night because as soon as I read the WOD he said so, no shoulders huh, maybe deadlifts and box jumps.  Ha.  It’s like he read my mind. It was also good in that I had that accountability as well to not wreck* my shoulder any more.  I joined in on most of the warm-up but avoided anything arms related – spidermans and push-ups.  When we pulled the bars out to warm up for the WOD I went into the back corner and did some deadlifts and backsquats with just the bar rather than hang cleans and push presses. 

*note – I’m not making my shoulder worse when I push through the pain I’m just not letting it get better/ letting the inflammation go down.  I’m probably in some way increasing the scar tissue overall but that is already there to an extent anyway and isn’t going to magically go away.  

 WOD 
15-14-13-12-11-10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1
Hang cleans (30/45kg)
Deadlifts (40kg)
Push presses (30/45kg)
Box Jumps (20”)
Bar-facing squat jumps over the bar
4 x 4  min AMRAPs, 90 secs rest 

3/4 

So as you can tell I modified this wod quite substantially and in the process smashed my legs, completely.   They were already a little sore from ‘Cindy’ and this did not help one bit.  I started with 45kg on the deadlifts for the first 15 and then 5 of the next 14 but then dropped it down as I wanted to keep good form (oh, and not die).  The box jumps felt good – I kept a steady pace throughout, resting briefly at the top when necessary but rebounding all of them.  I didn’t stack it either which is always a bonus.  When I finished the last rep however on each round I had to take extra care to step down from the box as my legs were jello.  Kind of funny actually.  

The squat jumps were the worst.  Especially in the higher rounds after doing ‘Cindy’.  The jump element just added that little bit more too (and after the box jumps hurt just a bit).  There were times I tried to spin around in the air on the jump but this wasn’t always consistent, I did however try to keep a steady pace.

The programming on this one was interesting – not complicated just very different.  It’s weird resting in the middle of a WOD and then forcing your body to get going again – and it is more like forcing since (for me at least) in the 90 seconds rest my body had enough time to think it was done and to shut down a bit so getting moving again was hard but in a way I liked that – mixing it up and confusing my body, all good things.

Not many people finished on the day but there was a good push at the end to try and fit in as much as possible.  I think with another minute I could have done it but didn’t go beyond the time cap as my legs were done.  I do love box jumps though (especially at 20”) so I liked having these in there.  I’m sure there’ll be many more in my future as well as I rest my shoulder.

Tonight should be interesting – more legs and possibly some reverse burpees just because my legs are smashed.  We’ll see what Coach Match has put on the board.

Mobility 
Calves with ball
Glutes with ball
Pecs with ball

‘Cindy’ took a toll on my entire body on Monday.  I walked into the box last night and realized that even my abs were hurting (from keeping a solid body through the push-ups).  Lots of mobility needed and I did some, probably could do more still.  I slept in my compression tights last night (so attractive!) too so hopefully my legs are ridiculous today (still walking okay but we’ll see what sitting all day does for that).

Back at it tonight then I have two straight rest days (yay!) and a massage scheduled for Friday.  Definitely needed.

WLC
 Another food sharing day with the ladies and Brenda outdid herself this week with some coconut-chocolate bar goodness and some birthday cookies for me that are delightful (I'm not sharing!).  The three of us also quite easily agreed to keep this aspect of the WLC going even though this is officially the last week of the challenge.  I'm super exicted as there are still so many recipes that I want to make for them and I think the same goes for them.  It just gets us all to up our game and be just a little more creative.  Have I mentioned how awesome these ladies are - I love them both...  thanks Angie and Brenda!

No comments:

Post a Comment