Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/10 - complexes...

Back at it today after a nice 4 days of ‘rest’.  Or more specifically, two days of rest and two days of feeling near death.  Yup, my “awesome” coworker infected me last week and I spent the weekend trying really hard to breath.  Good times. 

Skill
Tabata pull-up negatives

These were ridiculously hard (the point of doing them I assume).  I am really glad I grabbed a box to stand on to get my chin over the bar.  Slowly lowering over 20 seconds was a killer on my biceps most of all and there was a point about half to three quarters of the way down that was excruciating.  I think on all but the first two rounds I pretty much dropped straight from this point.  I didn’t feel it too much in my lats at the time but today I definitely can. 

WOD
3 rounds
300m run
8 x squat clean – thruster – front squat complex (38/50kg)
5 pull-ups 
14:05 Rx 

This was a tough one.  I knew going in that I’d be liking the runs more than usual (I severely dislike running) just because the complexes would be tough at that weight.  Right from the start I was doing one rep at time for the complex forcing myself to take a quick few breaths and pick up the bar again.  I was also focused on running back into the box and jumping straight on the bar if only for one rep.  It was definitely tough.  Near the end of the last round I could really feel my back muscles having to work (not great technique) though that being said I really feel sore in my abs today which makes me realize just how much I was using my anterior chain for stabilization/support.

The pull-ups were dare I say fun?  Given that there were only 5 reps and it meant that the 8 complexes for the round were done I did quite enjoy them. My kip once again felt strong and I managed to do 3-2 every round which means I’m (slowly) improving on my 2 reps when it comes to connecting kips.  There was also no fear of hand tearing as I’ve been fairly good with shaving off my calluses.  

This WOD was definitely a killer.  One I definitely wouldn’t want to repeat any time soon but the heavy(ish) lifting combined with the pull-ups was a ‘fun’ combo.

 Post-WOD 
Quad stretch
Pigeon pose (held this for several minutes on each leg and loved it)
Lower back/Lat mobility with ball
Quad and IT band mobility with foam roller

No comments:

Post a Comment