Saturday, September 15, 2012

WLC Day 1... baseline WOD and food, simple tasty food...

Kicked off the whole life challenge (wlc) today at far too early a time this morning.  We met up at Cooee with all the Cell participants and got measured and wod-ed.  It hurt me way more than expected.  

WOD
The Worldwide Whole Life Challenge WOD
AMRAP in 9 mins of:
24kg (16kg) American Kettlebell Swing, 7 reps
Burpee, 7 reps
Run 50m (2 x 25m)

9/7 Rx


I got 9 full rounds and 7 KB swing for a score of 133 (runs don't count towards a rep).  Going in I had a goal of 7 rounds especially when looking at some of the badass girls who had gone in earlier rounds and gotten 8-9 rounds - I realized today that in my head I don't put myself into the same vein as I do these girls when I really should - it's mentally changing my perception of how far I have come but that's a story for another day.  I was pretty much on my own for this one - there was no one working out next to me at my pace, there was just Mel cheering and Shonelle pushing/ counting for me which in itself was awesome.  Thanks girls!

I started coughing as soon as it was done - and pretty hard too, I almost puked because of the hacking and it's been pretty consistent all day still.  It sucks and I'm still feeling pretty fucked which was the only adequate word to explain how I felt to Mel when we'd finished.  Heh.  True.


Mel also took some 'before' pictures for me... I think most of what I'm expecting from this challenge is to see the transformation in the shape of my body, not necessarily losing weight but firming up (which shouldn't be too hard to notice after all the pre-WLC binging that I've been doing)...  so anyway, what I'm saying is that the pictures are going to be a big deal (the green background makes me look like I really need a tan though).


My 'grrrr' face is clearly intimidating












So white... green is not my colour

Trying to flex my (non-existent) abs...



















































After the WOD we hung around a bit and mobilised though I didn't manage my 10 minutes then I did sneak in a bit more while watching the footy tonight.  I also handstand walked the length of the box after that which was both awesome and killer on the shoulder.  I'm pretty happy with it though I was so tired from the WOD that there was no way I was going to even attempt trying to turn and walk back.  I'll save that for another day. 

 After coming home and having a 2 hour nap (told you I felt horrible) I dragged myself down into Freo to hit up the market for some dinner supplies.  I made an awesome Thai Red Curry for dinner.

I was going to make red curry paste from scratch or make a valiant attempt at it at least but as I stood in Coles reading 'red curry paste' labels (this followed reading coconut milk labels) I found one that met all the wlc rules so it made my dinner making that much easier.  Given also that red Thai curry is one of my favorite dishes ever I am quite happy by this find.  I used beef, bamboo shoots, zucchini, sweet potatoes and yellow peppers on top of some leftover cauliflower 'rice'!  So easy and so tasty too! My kind of meal.


The ingredients... so fresh.

Pure coconut milk!

WLC compliant red curry paste!

The finished product, so yummy!








































































As I was sitting here tonight feeling sickly and tired I really craved banana bread or something of that texture (aka baked).  I have plans to make some wlc compliant banana bread tomorrow but couldn't get a head start on that since I don't have all the ingredients in the house (namely enough bananas) so I was left to get creative.  I have 'baked' banana bread in the microwave before (out of necessity) and I also have a recipe for 'microwave chocolate cupcakes' so I decided to combine the two and get a little creative and made a 'Paleo Coconut Chocolate Banana Muffin' in the microwave.

Recipe
1 banana mashed
3 tbsps almond meal
1 egg
1 tsp baking soda (not sure this is actually necessary)
1 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
Mix all ingredients together in a mug
Microwave for approx. 1 minute

It was great and easy and tasty and again, just my kind of recipe.

Just nuked...

The plated final product...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jac - do you know if the cans are BPA free (the lining)? Nothing to do with the challenge, but I try to avoid this nasty. Thx Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lyn... I have no idea how to even tell... The curry paste is in a jar... Coconut milk isn't though.

      Delete
  2. I am so going to try that yummy looking choc-banana-coconut thingo. Right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked it... So easy too!!!

    ReplyDelete