Monday, September 24, 2012

9/22 - Primal Pairs 2012

Saturday was Primal Pairs 2012 – a crossfit competition hosted by Southern Crossfit (who also hosted Primal Throwdown back in June) for teams of two – either both female/male or mixed pairs.  I was partnered with Jane who I knew only through crossfit circles and not really directly but when we agreed to partner up I figured we’d be a good match in size (most important) though she definitely takes the strength card.  I was a little nervous going into the day – afraid I might not be able to pull my weight, not sure how intense Jane might be, competition nerves – all of that – but right from the start of the day it was great, lots of fun and being clear about the worst that could happen (not that much really in the grand scheme of it all). 

Jane and I had a nice little chat on our warm up jog around the track and we were ready to go.  There were five workouts for the day that were put out the previous day though the order was up in the air.



















First up was the steeplechase.  Yes, we were told to bring a spare pair of shoes so we knew we’d get wet, especially as we watched them filling the water pit.

WOD #1
Partner Steeplechase
7min Time Cap
Partner ‘A’ Completes 1 full lap of the athletics Steeplechase track, tags Partner ‘B’ who will then complete 1 lap. You must go over all of the hurdles.
Time is called when both partners are back where they started.
Score = Time (if cut off, each hurdle not passed will = 1sec added to time)
3:37 (21st place in the WOD)

This was fun though also a bit chaotic with a bunch of girls really slowing down to get over the hurdles (which weren’t all that high).  Since we all started spaced out along one side of the track there were bottlenecks quite quickly and very small spaces to get over the hurdles, especially the water hurdle were girls were actually hesitating because they were about to get wet.  Anyone who looked even slightly at that last hurdle before the run knew that there was no way to avoid the water.  It was quite simple – you were going to get wet.  Why stop and think about it?  Just go for it.  Which is what I did.  I found a very small hole and jumped over the hurdle and landed in the water – probably a bit deeper than I’d wanted to but given the situation I just went – stopping wasn’t in my thoughts at all.  Afterward, Chriselle told me that she basically followed me through the little spaces that I would find on the hurdles knowing I was going to keep going.  It worked.  It was also nice to be close to both Chriselle and Kirst as we could all pace off of each other knowing we were close to the same speeds.  Jane went second and did a solid job given how unsure she as of the hurdles.  She made it back and it was all we could do.

It was funny watching the boys warm up for their heat – all taking long strides up to and over the hurdles.  I had to chuckle and then let Tim and Jack both know that it probably wasn’t going to be that way.  They wouldn’t get a straight shot at the obstacle and would have to adjust on the fly.  I saw Tim on the back stretch stopping right before the hurdle and taking a two foot jump straight over – someone’s been practicing his box jumps – it was awesome!

WOD #2
Throw, Jump & Carry
For Time: 15min Time Cap
50/30/10
Bag Throw – must catch it to count
Over’s & Unders – over & under = 1rep
Buddy Carry Up & Back – both partners must complete 1 each
Score = Time if cut off, 1 rep will = 1sec added to time
12:29 (sixth place in the WOD)

They had everything set up for the Feeder WOD including the rowers on the track, had given us the briefing and then a cloud rolled in and it rained briefly – obviously they ran the rowers undercover and changed it up so that we did this WOD instead.  Crossfit – be adaptable.

This was the WOD where it was good to have a partner that was about the same size as you.  In any pairs competition you can almost guarantee that there will be some point where you have to carry your partner.  When Jane first picked me up as we practiced the carries she made my day saying that I was light and it was no biggie which is always what you want to hear before a WOD so you don’t have to worry about killing your partner and can instead relax and recover.

Jane was a bit worried about the bean bag throws and we took it steady on the first 50 and I think were about the 3 last team off of the track.  We steadily made up ground though in the over/unders and partner carries.  On the over unders we did about 20 each before switching off and just made sure to communicated where the transitions were going to come (this communication worked well for us all day actually).  It also worked well to have a plan as to who would hit the ground first on the over and unders (the person closest to the grass) and who was going to be carried first (the person on the ground last for the over and unders).  Jane did more of the over/undering while I did more of the up and down (up so she can get under, down so she can get over) – this took its toll on my shoulders and they were hurting after this one which wasn’t a great sign for the rest of the day. 

The partner carries were pretty good.  We just piggy-backed each other and we were both able to go the distance all three rounds without putting the person down – in fact we managed to keep a trot going as well (as fast as you can really move with someone on your back).  We managed to finish well under the time cap which considering our slow tosses was really good.  Another solid WOD.

WOD #3
Feeder WOD
3 x 2min AMRAP with 10sec between each
Perform as many reps as possible for 2mins swapping with your partner when needed.
1st 2mins = KB Swings – Russian (above shoulders) @ 20kg
2nd 2mins = Backwards skipping. Rope must rotate backwards
3rd 2mins = Row for calories
Score = combined total of reps & calories
321 (16th place in the WOD)

This was an interesting one – trying to figure out the best way to break down the work.  Initially when the rain came and they put the rowers away they were going to replace the row with burpees for the last two minutes and knowing how well Jane rocks the burpees it would have been good for us but instead it was rowing.  Jane definitely pulled me along on this one.  Coach Match has told us not to swing until we were totally exhausted and I didn’t know how many this would be.  I think I did 25 KB swings (which at 20kg is pretty solid for me) – then Jane did about 50.  She kept going and suddenly there were only about 20 seconds left to go in the 2 minutes which meant that she couldn’t stop – I was doing the backwards skipping and had to get ready and she didn’t stop at all.  We (she) had a solid go of the swings.  I started off the backwards skipping quite solidly easily getting up to 100+ reps and then I started to get a bit more winded (and got a cramp) and started tripping a bit more than I should have been.  Jane adjusted the plan and jumped in a bit to give me a few extra breaths and to still get us some more reps until I could get back in.  It worked well and we got 210 skips.  It was then on to the rowing and plan was for Jane to do this after my skipping.  She got into it right away and had a solid pace.  Where others switched half way through Jane went for the full two minutes.  I think it was a good call on our part as we matched the other girls and may not have if we’d lost the time to switching over.  Hard to say. 

WOD #4
10  minute AMRAP
50 Thrusters @ 20kg (empty bar)
50 Overhead Walking Lunges 15kg plate
Partner must be holding either the bar or plate off the ground. If it touches the ground, both athletes must run to the cones and back before continuing on.
Score = Total number of reps completed.
263 (2nd place in the WOD)

We did really well on this WOD – Jane once again picked up my slack but as she went on to say – it was playing to each others strengths.  We were in lane one for this one which had us pretty much on our own at one end of the track.  Jane started off on the thrusters and did about 30 before we switched off and I did the other 20.  She then started on the lunges and I think in round one we did 25 each (or thereabouts).  The ‘fun’ part of this WOD was having to hold both pieces of equipment for the duration including switching off with your partner.  We had a pretty easy way to switch – person holding plate extended their arms, took the bar laid over them and then handed off the plate – but it was holding the equipment while your partner worked that also added to the hurt on the body, shoulders mostly (or so we thought).  My shoulders died pretty quickly on this one – it was a huge struggle – like I said above, they were hurting after the over/under WOD, thankfully I had a rockstar partner who managed like I said to pick up my slack.  I think she did 30 to my 20 for the other rounds – I willed her to keep going when she was doing work and she just never really stopped.  We maintained a steady pace, nothing speedy just non-stop and communicated our switches well.  We had no idea how we were doing compared to others being so far away but just kept at it.  Turns out we did amazing – our best finishe of the day with second place in the WOD.  It felt good.

WOD #5
Floater WOD
5min AMRAP
Partner Wheelbarrow
10 pushups in the middle
You can only change over at each end.
Score = total number of laps completed.
11 (11th in the WOD)

I wasn’t looking forward to this one at all after how my shoulders were feeling.  Funny though that as Jane and I got up to warm up we realized we’d been sitting for too long and that our legs were jelly from the thruster/lunges and we hadn’t realized it.  We played around a bit with how to hold each others legs during the wheelbarrow and how to reposition for the pushups – best option was to just squat with the partners legs on yours.  It was hard and surprisingly 5 minutes was longer than we’d though.  Initially we were thinking we’d get maybe 3 rounds complete (there and back) but we did 5.5 (each time across the field was 2 points – one was awarded after completion of the push-ups half way).

We had to do our push-ups down to a 25kg plate (chest had to touch) which was much better as I don’t think at this point that I could have gotten back up from the ground.  As it was I struggled.  The trick for me was to get my hands wide on the push-ups so my range of motion was minimized and they could go quickly.  The walking on my hands part was okay after practicing so many handstand walks.  We worked well together on this one and it was a great way to end the day.  Although we placed 11th we were actually tied for the 4th highest score of the WOD – there were lots of teams between 11-14 points.

My amazing partner Jane






















It was a really good day.  I went hard on all the WODs but didn’t feel as knocked out as I did after day one of Primal Pairs.  I had an amazing partner in Jane and overall we both had fun and finished solidly in 7th for the day (we worked our way up the leaderboard all day).

WLC Day 8

Today was a write-off as I knew it was going to be.  I ate well all day during the comp but knew that when it was all done I’d want some non-WLC food and I was more than okay with it.  And since I was going to be losing all my points anyway I went all out.  There were chips at the stadium as soon as we finished followed by burger and onion rings and then ice cream and beer.  Like I said, no holding back.  I think that’s possibly the problem as well with the structure of the WLC – you lose so easily (one “cheat” meal will likely cost you 3 points) that you might as well keep on going – it leads (in my mind at least) to over indulging but that’s another rant for another time – this is long enough as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment