Friday, March 1, 2013

2/26 – Shoulders (Ouch!)



Strength 

3-3-3-3-3-3-3 
Strict Press 
30-32.5-32.5-32.5-30-31-32.5 

Kind of all over the place but there were a lot of sets and my arms were tired from the overhead lunges the night before.
 

I loved the set up for this WOD though – everyone was grouped up (in similar weight ranges) on all the racks and we had two minutes to go through everyone before the next set.  At the start of the next two minutes Coach Tara would tell us to go again and we’d all alternate through resting for the remainder of the time once we were done.  




I was in a group with Tarrsha and Ali and it was a lot of fun.  We had to change the weights between us most of the time but it was still pretty fluid and we had a ton of time remaining in each two minute set.  It was nice to have someone controlling the rest time and not feeling rushed to get through all 7 rounds.  A definite good format (and one we’d repeat the following day on back squats).




It was funny on this one – you could do the first two reps and things would feel solid and easy and then the third rep would just be a struggle and almost not happen.  It was amazing how quick it would go from on to off – similar I guess to HSPU’s and bench press.  Interesting for sure.


WOD
 5 rounds



3 box jumps (24/30”)



6 dumbbell hang power clean (15/20kg)



9 dumbbell push press (15/20kg)



5:23 (12.5kg)

I have to say – on paper – this didn’t look to bad.  Low number of reps and only 5 rounds but let me tell you just how much it killed, especially after the strict pressing.  The 3 box jumps were no rest at all and the dumbbells were heavy.  It was nice being partnered for this and having Tarrsha both cheer me on and more importantly count for me – specifically number of rounds.  I’d just finished the third round though was thinking I only had one left when in fact there was two.  It was good to have someone keeping track as I suck at that part. 




The box jumps were all unbroken and mostly solid though on tired legs I had to be sure I didn’t eat it.  The hang power cleans were all done as a full set though I wasn’t thinking well and didn’t have a plan going in which meant I did extra reps when I did all six cleans then put the dumbbells down before going into the push presses as I had to clean it for the presses – 7 reps.  Oops, extra work.  Tarrsha got the benefit of learning from this by going second.  I needed this lesson though going into the open.







The push presses just hurt.  The weight was heavy and I put it down more that I should have but managed to get it done which was something at least.  It was a fun WOD, challenging and different and most importantly it made me stronger today.

No comments:

Post a Comment