Wednesday, March 6, 2013

3/5 - Rowing and KBs


Another (long) weekend over, another start to the week and another day at the box.

The WOD today looked intriguing and turned out better than anticipated as all day long I was thinking it was a 10 minute AMRAP rather than just 7 minutes a (little) bonus.

Warm-up
Row 200m
Rolling sit up stretch
KB circuit x 10 (deadlift, Russian swing, American swing, one-arm swing, juggling swing, KB ‘catch’, push press)
Mobility – trap (with barbell) – OUCH!/ calve stretch
KB circuit x 5
Rolling sit-ups
Row 50m

Skills
Wall Facing Handstand Hold
4 x 30seconds

Once again we were doing handstand holds (like sports class on Friday) though this time they were wall facing – basically you walk your feet up the wall from a push-up like position.  Getting up the wall wasn’t so bad but for some reason these felt harder than the others that you just kick into – I think because the consequences are higher if you fall out – you tumble rather than just dropping your feet and letting them catch you.  There is also something about staring at a brick wall that messes with your head.  Regardless, this was great practice – lots of focus on locking out the shoulders – pushing away from the floor and keeping everything engaged.  Lots of form that carries over to the lifts (presses especially).  I most definitely had a head rush once these were over.


WOD
AMRAP in 7 Minutes
Row 300m
10 Kettlebell Swings 24/16kg
3/215m Rx

I was definitely happy with this one – it was a lot of rowing with a few KB swings thrown in just to change it up.  By the end my butt was cramping from the combination of both movements.

In the warm-up 200m I managed to hold a pace just under 1:45/500m so I was happy to be able to do the same for the first 300m row.  The other two and a bit rounds I stayed just under 1:55/500m which I was still happy about.   The row felt really fluid – I was working hard but not overly hard – I was maximizing the stroke length and ‘glide’ of the rower maintaining a stroke rate about 30 per minute or so which is decent.  Not too high for my little legs and I’m still holding a pretty solid (for me) pace.

The KB swings were all done unbroken and didn’t feel too bad – any more than 10 and it may have required a bit more rest either during or before picking up the KB but with only 10 there was no reason to not just jump into it.

After we finished both my butt and biceps were feeling it.  Ouch.

Mobility
Glute rolling
Pec rolling
Bicep stretching

Mananged to talk to Luke after class about getting some massage treatments done (he’s at Southern for appointments two days a week which is amazing!)  He said that while we were doing the WOD he could tell that I had issues with my left shoulder as I pull more with my right on the swings and the left never truly locks out – not a good thing if he’s seeing it that easy.  Thinking I’ll get in to see him soon just for some maintenance especially now that the open is upon us.


No comments:

Post a Comment