Sunday, November 6, 2011

11/5 - Team Training...

Yesterday was our final day of team training before the Affiliate Cup next weekend - this week thankfully it wasn't the day after Murph. I was the only person on my team there so I filled in with Vicki, Oli and Dom who were missing Jeni.  It worked well.

WOD #1
Benchmark WOD Annie as a team - each member must complete 25 reps in a row before switching
100 pull-ups
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
100 squats
11:41 (approx.) - Vicki and I used the red bands for the pull-ups, I did the push-ups on my knees.  Was steady to bang this out as a group.

The final three WODs were all chosen out of a hat (one by each team) and they were quite fun - definitely better than some of the ones remaining in the hat after we were done (I read them).

WOD #2
Lift a total of 3000kg of weight overhead as a team with only one person lifting at a time - all four teammates have to use the same weight.
5:21 (approx.)

This was a tricky one to sort out at the beginning to try and maximize weight and minimize reps.  We went for 100 reps of 30kg but might have been better off with 25kg and a few more reps.  The boys did most of the work on this one - I think I was banging out 5 reps at a time with Vicki much the same as it was pretty much our max. weight for clean and presses so it took us more time to do them.  Dom was solid snatching the bar like it was nothing and Oli knocked out the clean and presses quite quickly so hard to know if lighter would have been better... something to think about if faced with this again.

WOD #3 (chose by Vicki)
Accumulate a total of 500 points skipping
-1 point for a single under
-2 points for a double under
3:07

This was solid.  We stood in a circle and whenever the person skipping tripped up the next person went even if it they'd only managed a few reps.  I didn't beat my max. rep of 32 DU's but I did get some pretty solid numbers with my speed rope a few times which was awesome.  It was also great that we could all do DU's - I can't imagine having to do this WOD with single unders.  I liked it, my style.

WOD #4 (this sucked!!!)
400m run - once all teammates are back in the box...
200 box jumps (24" boys, 20" girls - must use the same box - had to rotate it when switching up)
400m run - once all teammates are back in the box..
100 KB swings (16kg for boys, 12kg for girls)
400m run with 4 KBs (10,12,14 and 16kg)
15:58

This was hard - initially we were only told about having to complete (as a team) 200 box jumps - as the clock was counting down Match announced that we had to complete a 400m run as a team first before we could start.  This was hard for me as I'm a slow runner and I knew I'd be holding my team back so I focused on staying with the pack - and we all finished pretty much as a group (all three teams).  The boys started on the box jumps which was great as it gave me a chance to catch my breath - they alternated in sets of 5 and then flipped the box for Vicki and I.  Since Vicki and I don't jump right back at the bottom of the jump we had decided in advance to alternate every jump so it gave us time to reset which the other was jumping.  We were facing each other on the box and it worked really well.  All I did was stare at her feet and when they hit the ground I went.  It did take a lot of focus to stand fully upright on top of the box (new ROM) versus extending on the jump down.  I did however fully enjoy the 20" box after doing Jack's WOD on monday with the 24" box.  And to think it was only a few months ago where I was only stepping up - progress... yay!!

Once we finished the box jumps we were then told we had another 400m run as a team (which I had expected after the first surprise).  Our team was out the door first but Shonelle, Ester and Dozer weren't far behind us and catching up quickly - I knew I just had to stay in front of Ester and I pushed really hard to ensure that I did - BUT.... upon getting back to the box we were greeted with two KB's and told we had 100 reps.  EVIL... but Dom and Oli went first and got 20 done each then Vicki followed with another 20.  I wasn't sure how many reps I'd get through but once I started I knew I could do another 20 since we only had the 12KB (nice and light!)...  as we were getting close to finishing Match was putting out more KB's for each group which was oddly suspicious as I asked Tim what was next and he told me nothing - liar... haha.  I knew it and called him on it and got the best smirk ever.  As we finished Match once again informed us we had another 400m run but this time with all the KB's he'd given us.  I got the 10 but it didn't really matter so much about the weight - it was just awkward - there is no good way to run with a KB.  We finished up and thankfully were actually done.

It was interesting to continually be surprised by what was next - the first 400m run was a complete surprise but you didn't have much time to think about it as it was just time to go and we all did.  Towards the end however it was scary to think what might be next, the constant expectation of more.  Heh.

Was good training.  Awesome to see the different strategies and to get thinking about how we'll do things the day of...  it'll be nice having a coach who is coaching us rather than making up (evil!) WOD's for us... haha.

Thanks Match and Tim for training us and Jack and Tim for coming up with the hat full of WODs...

No comments:

Post a Comment