Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Swimming WOD... kinda...

So tonight I had to a swim test for my paddling club (it's a requirement outlined by the Australian Outrigger Canoe Racing Association - AOCRA - which is the governing body for all of outrigger in Australia).

Now I need to preface this by saying that I can't swim - I know I could swim enough to save my life but I don't swim for fun - I tend to sink.  Ear infections as a child kept me from learning this little skill.  Though the strange thing is that I really love the water - being in it or on it just not swimming for the sake of swimming.

In order to pass the qualifications set out by AOCRA we had to do the following:

400m swim (8 lengths of the pool)
5 minutes of treading water

I did both successfully though my swimming was both slow and uncoordinated.  Either I float on my back and kick my legs (not using my arms) or I'm on my stomach and using my arms but forgetting to kick.  It wasn't pretty but it got done.

The treading water wasn't so bad - could have done that for quite some time which is an odd contrast to my swimming ability but alas...  done for another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment