Wednesday, January 2, 2013

1/1 - ASG WODfest - 'Angie', 'Annie' and 'Grace'

ASG WODfest, aka the day of the girls...   

The 'Girls' - Board was empty at the start of the day
Wicked start to 2013.  If today was the measure of how the next 365 days are going to go it’s going to be AMAZING. 

More photos and words below the cut.
Albert Street Garage (ASG) was the scene for WODfest – basically a chance to get scores under most of the girls names on their PR board.  Shonelle, Vini, Jack and Tim were fantastic hosts for the day and had the pool set up along with some shaded areas and neighbor Chris pulled out the BBQ late in the afternoon.

It was a wicked day – as Shonelle pointed out – 14 girls were done (which includes the girls who were done more than once).  Personally, I got three times on the ASG board – one I’m hoping will stay for a while as no one really likes ‘Angie’.  Two more PR’s set (setting PR’s is a pattern it seems at ASG) too.  Happiness! 

Cam and I were slow to get moving in the morning – soooo tired after a fun New Years Eve an pulled onto Albert Street just after noon and things were slowly starting to get going.

I had been wanting to do ‘Angie’ again for days though Vini’s plan to pick WODs from a hat was going to seemingly throw a wrench into this plan.  Not long after arrival Tim and Kosta were setting up to do ‘DT’ so I figured I could sneak in ‘Angie’ as not many people were there yet and I wouldn’t be in their way. 

'DT' and 'Angie'
WOD #1
‘Angie’
100 pull-ups
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
100 squats
22:38 Rx

When I did this WOD 12 days ago I finished in 27:15 – 12 minutes to do the pull-ups and another 7 to finish the push-ups.  I was interested to see how my hands would hold up on the ASG pull-up bar versus the ones at Cooee (which are ridiculously hard on the hands).  I started out strong with a consecutive 10 reps on the pull-ups (new PR!) and then a bunch of sets of 5, then down to 3 and then 2’s.  Unlike the previous time I never dropped down to single reps.  Right til the end I was still doing twos.  It helped that Cam was right there counting for me and cheering me on.  It was the encouragement that I needed to step up my game and push harder.  I finished the pull-ups in 9 minutes this go round.  Three minutes faster than previous.  Off to a good start.

Not the best camera angle... 'Angie'
With the push-ups my focus was all about minimizing rest periods.   I did the first 10 and then sets of 5 and then groups of 5.  These hurt.  Bad.  But I knew I had a good start and wanted to crush my previous time so again, with Cam cheering me on I pushed through as best I could.  I finished these at either 15 or 16 minutes (can’t remember so they were either one minute faster than last time or the same, not sure but on pace). 

I did the sit-ups unbroken.  It was a mind game.  I figured I’d do the first 50 unbroken figuring that like last time that’s when the pain would kick into my abs.  It never really did this time, or at least not as bad as it did last time.  I figured that I’d do 60 then – the get more done in the first set plan but as I neared the 60 mark I told myself ‘what’s another 10’ and from there it was just focusing on the next ten until 90 when it really started to hurt but when I could see the finish line.  I was happy.  Somewhere about halfway through Cam told me that I was just under 20 minutes on the clock which made me quite happy.

The squats sucked but at this point in the WOD you just know how close the finish is that you push through, agonizingly so but still, to the end.  I thought I’d try for 5 sets of 20 but managed 25 the first go and then tried to maintain those chunks throughout.  The last two sets I stopped for a couple of seconds only to shake out my legs and keep going and was happy to finish and to destroy my previous PR. 

I was ready to fall over into the pool when I finished, barely able to stand up as Tim grabbed the hose to spray me down.  It was awesome that he was the only other person in there which meant there was plenty of room for me to submerge myself.  Happy to have done it, happier that it was over.

There was a bit of screaming in agony when I surfaced from under water however when I realized that I’d chaffed my ass on the sit-ups.  I didn’t realize it at the time but was reminded of it every time I sat down the rest of the day.  So sore.  Still.

Figured after ‘Angie’ I’d be done for the day – one hard WOD under my belt, feeling sore after a few big/ heavy days and not wanting or feeling the urge to do anything else.

Watched Cam and Kosta smash through Lynne – 5 rounds of max body weight bench press/ max pull-ups (1 minute rest between bench and pull-ups, unlimited rest between rounds).  They kicked this one though you could definitely see the fatigue setting in for both of them, on bench especially as the rounds progressed.

Cam and Kosta killing 'Lynne'
Cam and Kosta killing 'Lynne'
'Lynne' scores
I decided I’d chance it and pull another WOD out of the hat, ‘just to see’ fully aware that I’d throw it back if it was something evil – I saw what I thought was ‘Angie’ on the top so grabbed it.  It was actually ‘Annie’ so I figured that is doable and I’d give it a go.  It wasn’t until a while later than I realized that I was aiming to do another 150 sit-ups for the day.  Oops.  There weren’t going to be any PRs set but it’d be a time for the ASG board so I convinced Cam and Tim to do it with me and after sitting around for a while gave it a go.

WOD #2
‘Annie’
50-40-30-20-10
DU’s
Sit-ups (no ab mat)
7:34 Rx

It was fun to be out in the open in the driveway.  Overcast sky and a break from the heat as well.  Stuffed up on the first round of 50 twice with two nasty whip marks to show for it (the second of which made me curse quite loudly) but did the rest unbroken.  Tim took the lead on me as he went unbroken all the way through and continued to pull distance as my abs cursed me for more sit-ups.  Cam’s calf unfortunately decided to be a jerk on the round of 40 du’s so he wisely stopped – no use making things worse.  It kind of sucked though as he was done for the day. 

Was happy to do two WODs at this point, was feeling sore, tired and most definitely hungry.  I was running on half a mango, a banana, a coffee and a ridiculous amount of water at this point – and with two WODs done I needed food.  Thankfully it seemed like the BBQ came out not long after this and I was able to stuff my face.  HUGE thanks to Chris and Shonelle for (wo)manning the BBQ for all of us carnivores.  I was so happy I’d brought both steak and chorizo for Cam and I at this point – we inhaled it all.  Yum!

It was fun to spend the day watching so many good friends do workouts to kick off the new year in such a low key and yet still hard core environment.  Cam and Sarah did the original ASG WOD and then Sarah being a beast did it again with Tim Casey.


ASG Original WOD
We sat around for a while after filling our bellies and watched a bunch of others suffer push through WODs and then Shonelle started talking about the girls that had yet to be done for the day.  Nick and Sandy were gearing up to do a partner version of Barbara and I decided to see if I could even lift the barbell – I did a few C&J’s with the empty Bella bar (15kg) and things hurt.  ‘Grace’ was a thought in my head at this point but I wasn’t sure.  I added the 10’s anyway, 35kg didn’t feel so bad – things started moving again.  I figured I’d see what 45 actually felt like as I was now seriously considering ‘Grace’ as insane as it sounded.  I could do it.  Wasn’t sure about my hands which were quite torn up and bandaged up after ‘Angie’ but decided to through on my grips and give it a go.  I was aiming for worst case – a 10 minute ‘Grace’ – 3 C&J’s EMOM for 10 minutes.  Definitely doable.

Barbara and Grace - Thanks for the photo Shonelle























WOD #3
‘Grace’
30 C&J’s (45kg)
6:34 Rx

Cam once again was awesome – he was counting for me and I remember doing the first three reps and him telling me that I had 30 seconds to rest (per my 10 minute ‘Grace’ plan).  I picked up the bar right away and did 2 more reps, 5 down in 50 seconds.  I took a few breaths and was back at it.  Finished the first 10 in about 2 minutes but was definitely slowing down.  I wasn’t putting any pressure on myself but rather just getting back to the next rep.  The jerks felt awesome it was the cleans that actually started to hurt more especially as the bar kept hitting the same spot on my collar bone every time, I have a wonderful bump/ bruise at this point.  Tim said it keeps happening because my elbows are so low on the catch that that’s where it hits.  Tis true, severely lacking in shoulder mobility – must definitely work on this.

I remember thinking at 15 reps in that it was a really bad idea to do this WOD but the awesome part was seeing all the friendly faces sitting around and cheering us on and also knowing that I could do it, it would just take time, one rep at a time.  Keep going.  And I did.  Pushing through the last few reps around the 6 minute mark was quite satisfying given my initial plan of 10 minutes.  I think mostly so that I wouldn’t get discouraged with myself if it did in fact take that long.  I didn’t PR but I still beat my ‘Grace Off’ time which is a reflection of how much stronger I am getting now and I would have likely smashed my previous PR of 5:53 if I hadn’t already done as much work that day as I had.  It’s in there though.

'Grace'






















In hindsight I’m actually glad I chose to do ‘Grace’.  While not my best time I still got a ton out of it.  To be not far behind my PR after a hard days work, to push myself both mentally and physically when I could have just called it a day will really help me in the future – it was like a competition, lots of down time in between workouts but lots of workload throughout the day.  I liked that.  Also, I really enjoyed Cam indulging my cravings and stopping for sugar and chocolate on the way home.  Thank you!
Not a bad start to 2013 as I said.  PR’s, good food and most importantly good friends and lots of love and laughter.  Bring it 2013, we’re all ready to kick your ass.

My favorite photo from NYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment