Monday, January 21, 2013

1/19 - ASG Saturday Session



Had plans to train with a few of my favorite peeps on Saturday afternoon – met up with the girls (and Nick and Cam) for coffee beforehand.  Reverse order this week because Brenda had to be off just after four.  It was good to get the gossip going and to see the broken man (hi Nick) and just enjoy one of our (our only?) favorite coffee shops in Leederville.

Then it was a mad dash to Albert Street to see what Coach Shonelle had in store for us – turns out Coach Vini was there though we didn’t realize he would be (sneaky!).


Strength
3-3-3-3
Strict Press
3-3-3-3
Push Press
30kg strict press (ASG PR)
37.5kg push press (ASG PR)

This was a good one as I haven’t done much strict pressing lately.  Angie and I alternated sets and this worked really well.  I think we started at 22.5 and went up by 2.5kg each round ending with 30kg.  Coach Shonelle gave me some good feedback in really exploding out on the strict press similar to the movement on a bench press – I was going slow and steady which was actually making it harder on me (focused on keeping my core tight instead) and the ‘explosion’ made it feel a lot lighter and definitely easier.

The push press was good.  Again, nothing too heavy as Angie had a big swim on Sunday and I was really tight in my traps and shoulders from all the HSPU’s the night before.

WOD #1
7 minute AMRAP
5 OHS (30/45kg)
10 HR push-ups (I subbed ring rows)
60m run
5+4

Rest 3 minutes then:

WOD #2
2-4-6-8-10-8-6-4-2
Squat clean (30/45kg)
Burpees
(7 minute cut-off)
10+12

Wow, these guys don’t mess around with programming.  The first WOD hurt because there was no real place to hide out.  I hang snatched all the rounds for the OHS and managed (barely in some cases) to do the OHS unbroken but definitely with some struggle.  Coach Shonelle kept telling me to focus on keeping my knees out which in my head I translated into squeezing my butt cheeks as this tends to be a better cue for me.  It was tough.

I did ring rows because of my tight shoulders/ biceps and even they were hard.  A few rounds I had to break them up into two sets of 5.  The sprint was good – it was just to the end of the driveway and back and a nice chance to shake everything out before going again.

The picture is a lie – we were late starting the first WOD so Coach Vini so kindly told us we’d only get 3 minutes rest – that part killed going into the second WOD. Our legs were already slightly hurting from the OHS’s and our heart rate was already elevated and off we went for round 2.  Cam’s calf acted up on him (again) early on and he (smartly) dropped out and I’m not sure what happened to Angie except I saw her in a heap on the ground somewhere most of the way through.  It was tough.  At one point, I think starting the round of 8’s (going up) I had about half the time left and thought that I could probably get it done under the cut-off.  Wrong.  The time disappeared fast.  The burpees were agonizing, I kept moving but there were times where I just closed my eyes and bore down on them trying to will the dripping sweat and hurt away (note, it didn’t work).  The squat cleans hurt, the 30kg felt really heavy – likely also because of the heavy hang cleans the night before.  I’m going to have to figure out a way for my body to recover better in order to up my training through the week.

It was another tough session at the ASG but also a fun way to spend time with the cool kids.  Shonelle and Vini made up a PR board now and I’m happy to be on it.  Thanks for all the effort guys, things are really shaping up and your coaching is fantastic!

We had a mini-photo shoot post wod… yup, I’m that sweaty and red (no that’s not a sunburn). Cam is either flying, airing out or dripping sweat - you choose.

 


Our awesome (and smiley) coaches!
 


1 comment:

  1. Love the post WOD pics! Almost as much as the Friday funnies - the bacon one made me a little sad, but then mainly hungry :) x bren

    ReplyDelete