Tuesday, January 15, 2013

1/12 - ASG Saturday Session


Had a fun morning on the SUP with Cam and Kelly and Pat though didn’t work too hard while out there –just enjoyed the time with friends.  Managed a couple minute sprint trying to reel in Cam after letting him get a good lead on me approaching the spit but that was about it.  Still, awesome fun.  I’m happy that I have two SUPs now and also friends with SUPs, it all leads to the same thing.  More play time with friends.

Because we were on the water all morning and the boys (Tim and Kosta) were training at the Chamber earlier than I had anticipated (11:30am) I wasn’t able to join them.  Hearing the workout afterwards, part of me wishes I had – lots of burpees and lifting, and the other half of me is kind of happy I was being lazy.  I did however miss the workout portion so I texted Vini to see if they had any spots left in the ASG Saturday Sessions. He told me to come by for 5pm with further enticement of coffee at Foam afterward and off I went.


Shonelle coached us, leading us through snatch practice which was great.  I got a lot more feedback on the movement – things I know I have to still work on but having someone else see it/ help me to find ways to correct it was good.  It was also nice to do some snatch balance work and start to get comfortable in the bottom of the squat snatch again.  Still need to work on more OHS.

WOD
400m run
5-10-15-10-5
Hang snatch (30kg)
Box jumps (24”)
75 double unders
9:30 Rx

This was a good one.  I could have done without the initial run (still hate running so probably a good thing that I do more of it).  Sam (still relatively new to crossfit type workouts) started out fast and I was trying to keep myself from chasing him – I didn’t want to go too fast upfront knowing that it would hurt me later in the WOD so I just kept up my game plan – working the lifts in sets of 5 with minimal rest and when possible rebounding the box jumps – Sam and I were sharing the box so most of the jumps through the round of 15 were alternating between us.

In the round of 15 lifts I could see Sam slowing a bit – taking a bit more rest and though that if I could go 6-5-4 then I’d be gaining.  I got the 6th rep done and figured I could do two more and only have 7 left.  It’s that mental game, knowing I have less to finish means that I’m more likely to get them unbroken and I did so one less time putting the bar down and into the final stretch.

It wasn’t until I was about to do the final 5 box jumps that I remembered the double unders. I was chasing the clock at this point hoping to come in under 10 minutes.  I wasn’t sure how the DU’s were going to but they surprised me.  45-20-10 and done.  9:30 on the clock and happy about it. 

Having Shonelle break down the movements was awesome and having both her and Vini walking around and coaching us through the session was extremely helpful.  It’s good to have new eyes seeing the work and having a different way of explaining movements – the idea might be the same but the way it’s delivered helps in different ways.  I liked it.  Thanks guys!

It also made me laugh at one point in the WOD hearing Shonelle tell Sam “get going, she’s using the same weight and catching up to you”.  I’m pretty sure he picked up the bar after that.  Haha.  It was also a blast to work out with new faces and be inspired by the drive that everyone has just to get the work done and be better for it.  Awesome afternoon.

Shonelle took so ‘after’ photos of us looking sweaty… and also some video which  I’ll post later.

Finished

Awesome coaches

Not moving...

Sending along the videos

Smiley!

No comments:

Post a Comment