Thursday, January 31, 2013

1/30 - New Favorite Movement 'Dumbbell Snatch'




Was a little scared to see all the running that today’s WOD entailed when I woke up but even more afraid of all the dumbbell snatches as these are a new movement for me and I wasn’t sure how they’d go.  I had only done them once before in a warm-up with a (very) light weight.  I was worried.


Warm-up

Dumbbell Warm-up

Mobility (shoulder smashing and banded hip stretch)



The warm-up was really good as we worked through the progression of the dumbbell snatch which gave me a bit more confidence it the move.  I warmed up with a 7.5kg dumbbell thinking I’d do 12.5kg for the WOD and it wasn’t too bad.  I had some hope.



WOD

800m then

10 rounds

10 alternate arm dumbbell power snatch

10 weighted sit-ups (15/10kg) then

800m run

25:14(?) 15kg dumbbell/10kg plate



Pretty sure that this was my time – it was 25:something at least.  With the coaches writing times on the board when you finish I know I don’t really have to concentrate on the clock too much – I remember looking at it but I was too tired to really register what it said beyond 25:…



This was a good one.  I started off strong on the run, started hurting a little around the 50m mark as we hadn’t done any running in the warm up but then settled in from there and maintained a steady pace.  There were 5 or 6 guys in front of me that continued to pull distance but I’m pretty sure no one else passed me.  The run is two 400m loops so I had to talk myself through the first one quite a bit and then push on the second, running is still not my strong suit but I’m working on it (see below).



The dumbbell snatches… well, when we went to choose our weights Scotty mentioned that if we didn’t know to talk to a coach so I told him I didn’t know – I’d never done them before and immediately he told me 15kg (so much for thinking 12.5kg).  Another girl beside me immediately asked him the same question and he told her 12.5kg so um… ya, thanks?  Turns out it was a good call though.  12.5kg would have been too easy because while 15kg was not easy, it was not impossible either.  I was able to maintain pretty good technique throughout save for a few at the end of each of the later rounds when there was pure muscle being used to get it overhead.  I didn’t stop much to rest in these sets.  I would put the dumbbell back on the ground and then set up for the next lift.  When I did find myself pausing I tried to just slow my pace a bit but to keep moving.  It was great that it was alternating arms.



The sit-ups were all done pretty much unbroken.  Near the end of the last two rounds my arms were getting pretty fatigued but other than a quick drop of my shoulders at the top I kept going.  I really focused on locking out my arms at the top as Claire had noted at the beginning that I wasn’t doing this.  Definitely felt it in my shoulders.



I think I was about the third person out the door on the last run but with running not being that strong for me I got passed by a bunch of the guys who came out after me.  Definitely need to work on this.  I did keep a consistent pace throughout though with a bit of an extra push at the finish because it was my plan but also because I could hear footsteps behind me and didn’t want to get caught. 



This WOD hurt me but it was also oh-so-good.  I went back into the box and grabbed my waterbottle before assuming child’s pose outside on the mat.  I was nauseous and this helped (a little).  Once I could function (somewhat) again I went back in to cheer on Cam who was just finishing up his last round (stupid asthma).  He pushed through and I joined him on the run (kind of) – ran with him in the middle sections of the 400’s then stopped and waited for his return.  On his second lap we were headed back and Sophie was just heading out on her last lap so I changed directions and ran with her for the rest.  It wasn’t a lot of extra running for me but it was still running and I figure it all helps me get better so I’ll try and keep getting the extra running in.



Mobility

Didn’t get to this tonight because I was sitting outside recovering and there was stuff to be done.  All good though, just a little more focus tonight.  The shoulder mashing in the warm-ups however is really good for my shoulders – it hurts and it’s crunchy but feels really good after.  A good one to keep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment