Thursday, January 17, 2013

1/16 - Like the First Day of School

Last night was like the first day of school… you know mostly what to expect but the everything is still a little different, you wonder what it’s going to be like, a little afraid but mostly excited – a new start, new friends, new experiences.  I am happy to say that I found a new home and it is awesome.
 
Home
Cam was really cute and told me at the last minute that he’d be there also for the 5:30 WOD because “can’t let you do your first WOD on your own” even though I was instantly in the presence of familiar faces when I walked in.  But thank you Cam for being so welcoming into (more of) your world, I’m going to really enjoy training with you too.

It was nice having trained their before too – second day of Primal Throwdown as I was familiar with the surroundings, kind of knew where things were, how it was set up and so there was a bit more comfort.  Also helping that comfort – the WOD, playing to my skills – DU’s and power cleans.

Warm-up
200m run
mobility
1 leg dumbbell deadlift (10 each side)
1 arm rows (10 each side)
1 arm dumbbell snatches (10 each side)
200m run
Work through the clean – clean shrugs and power cleans with bar

Max. DU’s in 30 seconds – this set the scaling for the DU’s in the WOD and was a good way to do it – the number of reps you did was based on the number you managed to get in 30 seconds.  I managed 64 (unbroken) in the 30 seconds which put me fully in the Rx category (greater than 30 reps in 30 second).

WOD
7 minute AMRAP
10 power cleans (40/60kg)
30 DU’s
4/35

I was really striving for 5 rounds but came up just short.  I managed to do all my DU’s unbroken but lost a lot of time resting while at the bar.  I wanted to keep doing sets of 5 but that ended half way through the second round I think.  I tried to minimize rest though still need to work on getting back on the bar faster.

The coaching was amazing – specifically because there were 3 of them wandering through the class during the WOD, I got a lot of feedback.  Each of them had some feedback at some point for me in 7 minutes.  Sometimes it was purely encouragement or a nudge to pick up the bar, other times it was some technique feedback, something to focus on.  I really enjoyed that – the different perspective was also helpful.  Jase kept at me for my knees collapsing in (I am really struggling – STILL – with this one), Scotty told me to focus on speed through the middle which was an amazing cue (and something Angie mentioned before when I was doing ‘Randy’ that I definitely found (find) helpful), and Hayden noted that I was pulling too much with my arms and to keep them straight and focus on a big shrug  through my legs – something I’d never heard before and something new for me to think through.

Somehow during the WOD as I was focused on keeping the bar close to my body I managed (several times) to hit my pubic bone with the bar on the way back down.  This hurt.  I do not recommend this and I still can’t understand how it started happening however I definitely have a nice bruise to show for it.  Ouch.

AfterWOD
DU work or Reverse Hyper
Mobility

After the WOD some people stayed to work on DU’s with Jase while the rest of us went upstairs for some work on the Reverse Hyper.  Hayden took us through the correct form for using us then left us to do 3 sets of 10 on our time.

We also worked through some mobility – calves mostly for me with a bit of glute rolling and some minor quad stuff (after the calves and glutes I’d pretty much had my fill of pain). 

It was good to focus on mobilizing as a group – everyone stayed for a while to do this and it’s something that I’m regularly looking forward to doing at the end of each class.

My left shoulder was a bit tight last night after dinner, it started acting up a bit likely because of the heavy cleans but thankfully Cam was around to help me out – traded off loosening of his traps for some digging into my pec (ouch) and bicep (double ouch).  It was good.

Photo on the wall (with another Jac - cool!)

No comments:

Post a Comment