Thursday, June 6, 2013

5/22 – Crossfit CBD Melbourne



While in Melbourne Cam and I checked out a second crossfit box.  I knew from following Liz’s blog that Crossfit CBD had a pretty unique set up.  They are located on the rooftop of a building in the heart of Chinatown in Melbourne’s CBD (central business district).  We had to pre-register for their class which meant that we couldn’t make it Tuesday (full) and instead caught Wednesday’s session.  I think I’m thankful for that as Tuesday had 800m runs in it which meant also running down their 100 odd stairs (it’s kind of mean that they have signs on the way up that tell you ‘how many more to go’ – like you need the reminder… haha).

It was another different class model.  The warm-up was listed on the board and it was up to you to get it done when you got there.  I think you had 10 minutes or so to do it (from the start of class time).

Warm-up
2 rounds
45 double unders
30 walking lunges
15 push-ups

The we went through the WOD movements and started it off.

WOD
EMOM21
Cycle through
22 One arm KB Swings (11 each arm alternating Russian swings) (24/16kg)
11 Box Jumps (32/24”)
11 Ring Dips
Rx/Rx/Red Band

This was a fun one.  It was similar to a longer tabata as the movements took from 30-40 seconds to finish then you had a little rest and moved on.  I enjoyed the KB swings as we do this often enough at Southern and the box jumps were solid.  I managed to rebound most of them and it wasn’t until the last round that the cold weather caught up to me and I tweaked my calf a little.  It didn’t stop me however which in hindsight and painful walking the next two days was probably not a smart idea.

I scaled the ring dips quick significantly as these quite often screw up my shoulder.  I also think I kept the rings a bit further away from my sides as a way to compensate for my shoulder issues (I know, not the best idea but still).  I think it was for this reason that my biceps hurt so much afterward and not my triceps.  It was a great session though.  Fun to roll through with a new crowd of people on an outdoor roof in the heart of Melbourne during the working week.

As I mentioned, Crossfit CBD is on the roof of a building.  It’s half sheltered and half exposed and completely open to the elements.  It was a little bit wet and mostly cold when we were there though there was daylight creeping through the grey sky.  I can’t imagine the dedication it would take for some to get there for the early morning or late night classes when it’s dark in the middle of winter.  It adds to the atmosphere though and definitely makes you stronger. 

Some photos from Crossfit CBD.











And some drunken Birtday Handstands just for fun... at least these were against a wall unlike my attempt to handstand walk in the middle of the city street that was more like a crash and burn...



No comments:

Post a Comment