Tuesday, June 11, 2013

6/8 – Rope Climb Redemption


WOD
1 rope climb
10 burpees
1 rope climb
20 box jumps (24”)
1 rope climb
30 sit-ups
1 rope climb
40 overhead walking lunges (15kg plate)
1 rope climb
50 double unders
10:40

Not sure if any of you remember this day… the one with the rope that made me cry.  While I have climbed ropes (twice) since then I hadn’t climbed *the* rope or to *the* height that I did that day.  Today that all changed.

We did our warm-up then spent about 15 or so minutes on rope climbing technique practicing locking off, coming down, etc.  I was sharing a rope for all this with Ali, Myra and Gracie.  They were so encouraging having heard briefly of my fear of climbing ropes, having fallen and failed.  They were so supportive though.  At one point Ali comments that I am so much stronger now than last year and surely I could go to the full 15’ but I noted that it was the coming down part, the being tired part that scared me most of all.  I was resigned to just climbing to 12’ for the WOD.  That didn’t last once 3-2-1… was called.

We had partnered up so Ali and Myra had already finished and it was just Gracie and I.  She went first as I was still coming to terms with my nerves that never fail to appear when rope climbs are on tap.  I did the first one and it felt good.  Solid legs and three ups and I was at 15’.  I did it and was slow and controlled on my down climb not wanting to get ahead of myself.  Easy.  I still wasn’t convinced that I’d got his high for the next four though – told myself that I could back out anytime (and just climb lower). 

The burpees were steady and before I knew it – with heart rate elevated – I was staring at the rope again.  Focus.  Once again to 15’, hearing my name being called and encouragement coming from all sides.  I did it.  Controlled down.  Success.

Box jumps were solid.  Rebounding on each pausing briefly a few times at the top trying to breathe and then they too were done.  Rope.  The fear was getting stronger.  I was more tired.  This one was a bit more of a struggle but I knew I could make that line.  Outstretched fingers just barely grazing red tape.  I’d done it and was back to talking myself down – slow decent.  Got it.

Sit-ups were slow but continuous – still feeling the ache in my abs from the previous week but getting through them.  A bit longer to think – stop, just be in the moment – the rope will wait.  But then they were done.  Chalk, a bit of a stare.  Steeling myself for another.  This was the breaking point – I was ready to not go so high, told myself just two pulls but they I was going.  Hand over hand, focused on my feet, trust them, stand up.  It was on this one that I really struggled to get move my feet up to my hands.  It seemed like a million small steps up rather than the trust I had initially but I wanted that mark again.  I’d come this far.  The support and cheering helped urge me on.  I got it.  Four down.

The lunges really hurt, right from the start.  My legs aching more than suspected from being tense on the climbs, being used, being trusted.  I broke them up into sets of 10, shaking out after each one and forcing myself to pick up the plate each time knowing that the final rope climb was that much closer.  The fear started to set in again.  Could I do it?  Did I trust myself not to fall?  When the lunges ended I took my time.  One more rep, one more climb, that was all.  I’d come this far and made that little red mark each and every time.  I couldn’t stop now, it had my name on it.  Encouragement once again all around, in my face, from behind, the other side of the room.  It all helped.  It all got me up that rope.  Slow and steady.  Controlled descent.  And while I still had the DU’s to go I was joyous, happy.  I’d conquered both that rope and the height but also my fear.  My struggling grip and shaky legs.  I succeeded.  Redemption.

Closing out with the DU’s was a bit of a challenge.  Initially I stumbled on the first few reps.  Twice.  I walked outside and found my calm and went from there, breaking them into two solid sets and I was done.  The time was registered but that didn’t even matter.  I was shattered but more importantly I was redeemed.  

I was too tired for sports class but managed to sneak in another WOD at ASG when I just stopped by for a visit... more to come on that in another post...

No comments:

Post a Comment