Wednesday, June 26, 2013

6/25 – Quick cleans and box jumps


WOD
3 rounds
7 power cleans (60/42.5kg)
7 box jumps (24/18”)
1:57 Rx

So we are now less than 5 days out from Primal Throwdown and should be fully in on the taper BUT… oh, but…  that wasn’t the case with this one.  I headed to the box planning to drop the weight to an easy 30kg and just go from there.  I don’t have much ability to ‘go slow’ in a WOD so my only way to lessen the work is to scale, scale, scale.  This didn’t happen, obviously. 

Through the warm up and mobility and set up both Naydine and Ali were commenting on how it’s just a quick WOD (less than 5 minutes) and 42.5kg isn’t that hard, and, and, and… ya, I succumbed to them and didn’t scale.  Feeling it in my shoulders today though especially after (not scaling) ‘Fran’ on Monday.  Oh well…

We partnered up and Ali went first (thankfully).  Then it was my turn.  I did I think 3 unbroken reps just to warm-up/ check the weight and it made me winded (a little) and hurt (a little).  I knew there wasn’t any room to rest on this one.  Seven is that horrid number that hurts more than 5 and is still harder than 10 because at least with 10 you can do 5-5 or 6-4.  When you get to 5 and only have seven in total you’re going to keep going.  This hurt more in the later rounds as well.

The first set of power cleans I was solid on – focused on breathing and going unbroken.  I was slower than those around me but I was trying not to focus on that.  I did however see Cam beside me and wanted to catch him.  I went unbroken on the box jumps, the first round feeling fairly easy and caught him there.  We came off about the same time and I knew I had some ground to make up on the bar (it didn’t happen).  I went unbroken but had to rest a few times (I did this in the rack position so I could still ‘touch and go’ at the bottom).  Cam beat me back to the box so I went hard at it though I did really start to feel my hamstrings – thrusters catching up.  I snuck ahead on the cleans and though I needed a few more ‘rests’ – my technique went to shit though and that’s an understatement.  Cam never caught back up, not sure what happened even though I still used this as fuel to push harder, I wanted to win – though it wasn’t even a race against anyone but myself – though was funny afterward to hear that Adam was also using Cam as a pacer.  Haha, funny how our minds work mid WOD and who we pace off of –for whatever reasons.

The last round of box jumps were a bit of a struggle but I managed to get them all out quickly, thankful that it was just three rounds and it was over.  All in less than 2 minutes.  I was happy with that – still not sure going with 42.5kg was the best idea but there’ll be a lot of rest built into the rest of my week.

We were talking during mobility after – a group of us – and about tapering, etc.  I managed to recall that we did a lot of this during the open – not pushing as hard as to save ourselves for the actual open wods each weekend and I think in many ways our training and our scores suffered a little bit for this – our bodies were actually missing the intensity especially over a 5 week period so perhaps this extra push 5 days out isn’t a bad thing.  Will be back at it tonight – scaled for sure with a bit of skill work and then I’ll focus on mobility and rest until the competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment