Monday, June 24, 2013

6/22 - Saturday Sports Class


Last big hurrah before Primal Throwdown 2013 next weekend.

Skill work
Bar Muscle-Up Progression
Axel Bar Deadlifts

WOD
5 minute cut-off
400m row
30 KB clean and jerk (16kg – 15 per side, one side at a time)
20 pistols
10 c2b pull-ups
5:28 Rx

Note that there was scaling for all three primal categories – those listed above are what was written for intermediate women.

Was fun getting the skill work in.  I have only done bar muscle-ups once (jumping) and managed to get them (from the highest box) that day.  I got them again today and tried to increase the height from the box to the bar but couldn’t quite manage that.  It was fun though to see Steph doing them (scaled) – she faced some of the same challenges that I did the first time I tried – namely the fear.  She got one though!  Awesome.

Then we split into boys and girls and played around both on axel bars (more specifically larger diameter pipe) and on the barbells with the fat grips – infinitely harder than the fat bar as they still spun.  We eventually got up to about 80kg – all of us using a mixed grip before Coach Tara came around and told us to try using overhand grip on both hands ‘just in case’ – and only a couple of the girls could actually do it.  So hard.

We then moved onto the WOD in two heats.  I was in the first go round with Steph judging me.  I knew the row would take about 1:30 (which it did) and then it’d be a push to get through the remaining reps – I think that was the plan – this WOD had a similar format to the first WOD from day 2 of the Primal Throwdown last year – that was a 15-10-5 (row for calories, KB shoulder to overhead, toes to bar) with a 5 minute cut-off – I’m pretty sure no one finished but it was about the amount of work that you could complete hence the challenge.  This was much the same.  Only a few of the top guys managed to get through everything.  I was happy just getting to the pistols as the 16kg KB was heavy for the CJ’s especially as you had to do 15 on one arm then 15 on the other rather than splitting them up somehow.  Good to know.  I also struggled a bit with my left arm and while I got the KB up without dropping it on my head it was a bit sketchy – thankfully Steph was kind enough to give me the reps – might have been called a no rep in comp.

It was a good push – on this one and working into game day strategy – I had less than 10 seconds left when I finished the CJ’s and knew that any pistols I could get would make a difference on the ranking (if it was truly game day) and rushed through 2 quick reps without thinking and even though it hurt.  Mentally preparing as well as physically.  I’m also getting quite happy with my rowing – my stroke rate is staying low as is my power output (split time) so I’m getting the results without having to kill myself which is definite progress from the girl who used to hate the erg – don’t ask me to stay on there forever though – 1km is about my limit before I want to scream/ get bored/ annoyed.  Still.  Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment