Tuesday, July 3, 2012

7/2 - rope climbs!

Skills
DU practice
Pistol practice

It's the start of pistol month at our box and the DU progression is continuing.  It's really helping.

WOD
30 pistols
60 double unders
300m run
3 rope climbs (to 12')*
20 pistols
40 double unders
200m run
2 rope climbs*
10 pistols
20 double unders
100m run
1 rope climb
15:00 (finished just as the buzz went at the end of time - 15 minute cut-off)

I enjoyed this one.  I struggled a bit with stringing the double unders together in the beginning but then got that sorted out.  The pistols were a struggle (and that's why it's a focus for us this month obviously) - my left footed ones are atrocious.  For some reason I have no balance on one side and I have to laugh at my ridiculousness.  Not sure Coach Match found it as funny... I put a lot of pressure on myself (internally) to do well and hold myself to a pretty high standard at times and Match no repped me on a few consecutive left legged pistols and my reaction was "not even close" and "I know" which I realized afterwards can be taken quite poorly in response to a 'no rep' call versus others who were cursing themselves outwarding without the no rep call.  I am slowly starting to realize how things can be perceived quit differently than they are meant when they leave my mouth - intent and perception... such different things some times.  So ya... frustrated with my own left foot and the ridiculousness of my (lack of) balance.  I kept at it though.

The runs felt a little odd after the pistols - mainly my left leg after doing probably twice as many (half) pistols on that side just to get good reps.   The rope climbs were however surprisingly fun (for the most part).  *If we were doing the workout Rx we had the option of adding the rope climbs (if we wanted).  I think Oli and I were the only two who chose to - I want to reinforce some of the stuff I learned at the comp and become more comfortable when I'm tired being up high - the ropes were only two 12' which helped make it easier though on the round of 2 I stared at it a bit before my second rep knowing how tired I was - the fear started to come back - and that's right when Bonnie who was near by counted me down saying 3-2-1 and it made me go for it.  Thanks Bonnie!

On the last run a few of us were coming in the door with about 10 seconds left and I knew I had one more climb and I didn't think twice about jumping right up as I wanted to come in under the cut-off and it was pretty close.  I think my feet were hitting the ground just as the buzzer was going so it was good.  It's funny how when you have a bit more pressure it's easier to banish the fear.  I'll call today a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment