Friday, July 6, 2012

7/5 - more pistols...

Warm-up
DU practice
Pistol practice

As mentioned earlier in the week it's the month of pistols at our box so this was day three this week of focusing on them and having them in the WOD.  The rule is that we can no longer hold our foot/leg when doing them which means scaling in order to focus on form.  There are a few options available to scale - the first is to use a box at a height in which you can lower yourself under control to touch your butt on the box and then stand back up - this can be any height (as you get better you use a lower box).  The other option we used was to hold a KB or plate in your arms straight in front of you which acts as a sort of counterbalance while killing working your shoulders.  The weight can be whatever you need it to be - lighter as you get better at balancing.  Obviously the objective is to be able to do pistols without scaling - or as our Coach told us - while doing a one legged OHS. 

WOD
12 min AMRAP
20 double-unders
10 pistols
5 push-ups
RxTra – 8/12 KB for pistols
7/25 Rx (5kg plate)

This was a challenging WOD in that it seemed like I was forever doing pistols.  The DU's I managed to do all unbroken so they went quite quickly as did the push-ups.  The pistols took a lot of concentration and my shoulders were killing.  I started with an 8kg KB but quickly dropped that in favor of a 5kg plate which still felt heavy.  I was sweating like crazy - it was flying off of me while I was skipping.  Definitely tough.  That being said, already I feel like my pistols are getting a bit better - I'm starting to realize that the trick is to get to the bottom quickly and bounce out of it.

Also, last night was the last class I'll have Coach Pete coaching... he's leaving soon to move back east and I'm heading on vacation next week and won't be back til after he leaves... I'm going to miss you Pete - and while I typically make fun of your music on this last night it worked it's magic - it was loud and angry and perfect for this WOD (especially as I was right in front of the speaker).

Also, congrats to everyone in the session - Coach Match said it was the first(?) WOD where everyone did DU's.  Sweet!  The progress over the past month has been pretty outstanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment