Monday, July 9, 2012

7/9...

Back at crossfit today after a full on rest day yesterday (with lots of food and too many a few beers).  Thankfully there were no pistols on the menu today - I'm not sure my butt can handle it now even with a few days of rest.  I'm still sore and I don't think 20 hours on a plane is going to help with that.

Strength
5 x 5 deadlifts
60-70-80-85

I love partnering up with Kayla - she's super strong - and just by working with her I get pushed harder and heavier by association.  On my own I probably wouldn't have started at 60 but when she suggested it how could I say no? (disclaimer, I know I could have said no but sometimes it's just fun to go with it... and it just makes me stronger anyway).  I didn't do a 5th set which I probably should have but 85kg was quite hard as it was (my current 1RM is 95kg so I wasn't that far off for 5 reps).

It was definitely nice to not have to regrip at the bottom as we did for the comp - it's so much smoother and feels easier (which it is).

WOD
5 rounds for time
10 hang cleans (30/45kg or RxTra 45/60kg)
10 burpee bar hops
200m run
1 min rest between each round
15:13 (Rx1/2tra - 38kg)

This was both fun and hard - I love hang cleans and I especially like going heavy on hang cleans for some bizarre reason.  I managed to get through all 5 rounds without putting the bar down on the hang cleans - when I rested I stayed in the rack position and then continued on.  I think I gained a bunch of time with doing it this way and I actually don't find it any harder - it's probably less hard as you don't have to get the bar all the way back up from the floor and I tend to start my hang clean from the rack position when stringing them together instead of hanging at the bottom.

The burpee bar hops (as usual) were horrible (aren't anything burpee related though?).  It was just a matter of pushing through and trying to keep moving.  I think I did an extra rep on the first set as well as I am horrible at counting (ask Kayla) and I finished on the wrong side of the bar.  Oops.  Oh well.

The runs were okay.  I found it hard initially to get my legs moving - my quads were pretty pumped until I got going and the blood started flowing.  On the third round I went quite hard trying to chase Kayla down and while I didn't catch her I did close the gap.  I covered the rest of the ground on the hang cleans but she was doing 45kg (beast mode) so technically she still kicked my butt.  Again though I have to say that training around her pushes me harder and heavier and I'm getting better because of it - it's fun to have people to feed off of and it goes both ways depending on the days... Thank you Kayla (and see you in a month!).

One last WOD tomorrow at Cooee before I head 'home' for a visit and get a chance to check out Crossfit Kitsilano

No comments:

Post a Comment