Monday, August 20, 2012

08/18 - Saturday Surfski


When all my plans for the day started to fall through I decided to turn my day around and take out my surfski which has been shamefully neglected over the last (several) months.  It was really good that I got out on it as I hadn’t even begun to realize how much I’ve missed it.  I loaded up all my gear and headed to Bicton Baths (where we often launch our SUPs from).  It’s an ideal spot on the river, fairly calm and a good distance to the spit which not being exhaustingly far.  I had a really fun time trying to find my balance again and using good, efficient technique to keep myself moving.  I took a lot of boat wake from all directions and had no problem staying up, bracing when I had to.  It was only on my way back that I had a moment of distraction that almost led to me swimming – I don’t know how it happened because as always it happened so quick but suddenly my ski was tipping to the left as I braced very hard to the right, I could feel the water coming over the side into the seat – I had a moment of thinking ‘oh shit, I’m going to get wet and uh-oh, it’s been a while since I’ve done a remount in open water…’ As these thoughts rapidly fired through my head I somehow managed to pop back up and was steady… and surprised.  I mean I was tipped enough for water to come into the cockpit and yet managed to not go in.  A win in my book.  Guess it helps to have a strong core and confidence in bracing (leaning on your paddle really hard on the water), I’m actually proud that I didn’t pop back up and go right in the other side which can easily happen.  Ha.

It was a great day to be out, it made me quite happy and though it took me a little while to again get used to being so close to the water (rather than high up on my SUP) it was a lot of fun and I’ll have to do it more often – the only thing that really stops me is the hassle of loading it up on my car every time I want to go out – I guess on the plus side though I can launch from a variety of places whenever I do go.  Upside.

My view from the beach post paddle

No comments:

Post a Comment