Friday, August 24, 2012

8/23 - Tire jumps!!


Once again we had Coach Tim and once again we had a creative(ish) warmup…
Since we weren’t going to get enough tire jumps in the actual WOD we started with a  150m run to the tires and then did 30 jumps before running back into the box.  It was on the jumps that I realized that my legs actually were sore from all the squatting on Tuesday night – I didn’t realize it before then even as Glen and Angie mentioned that they were.

For the length of the box we then did high knees/ grab your knee each step to stretch, lazy spidermans, high leg kicks and lunge/twists.  Then there was some squatting and shoulder rotations to get us all loosened up.

WOD
21-18-15
KB swings
Sit-ups
300m run / tyre-box jumps half way

11:26 22kg KB

Rest 3 mins

12-8-4
Burpees
Single-arm KB swings or KB snatches
300m run / tyre-box jumps

8:40 10kg KB

I got an extra 34 seconds of rest for having finished before the 12 minute cut-off.  We all started the second WOD together so that was a bit of a bonus.  On the board the WOD looked harmless enough as it didn’t include the 300m run – basically you had to do tire jumps and the tires were at the back of the building which meant 150m run to get there, jumps and then 150m run back – this sucked, a lot… especially for the last 4 jumps, such a long way to go for such a small number of reps.  Was a good change though – although the tires are equivalent in height to a 20” box they require a lot more concentration.  At one point in the set of 18 I think I jumped and one foot hit the tire and the other feel into the little groove area and slipped right through – it wasn’t pretty but I got right back at them even having almost face planted.

The KB swings at 22kg were hard and heavy but I managed to mentally push myself fully through the first two rounds – I lost momentum on the first round mostly because I almost swung over my head so I had to ‘restart’ but didn’t actually rest during the break.  On the last round I stopped after 7 reps partly because my grip was going and I felt like the KB was slipping and partly (mostly?) out of fatigue.  The sit-ups were steady and no big deal.  The runs and tire jumps kept it interesting.

Part two was hard.  Starting on burpees was just mean but as always it was all about utilizing gravity to hit the floor and keeping a steady pace throughout.  I did KB snatches on this one and since I’m still not comfortable with the movement I used a light weight.  I need to practice my form on this and figure out the ‘punch’ at the top to be effective.  It was good to work on them though.  Again, the run and tire jumps kept it interesting.  I tried throughout this workout to get right onto at least the first rep of the next movement and then rest after if necessary – it’s a trick that Coach Match taught me during the open competition and it’s a good one.  Just start getting the reps done as soon as you can though with the KB swings I did take a few breathers knowing I was going to push through one continuous set.

Happy for a rest weekend.  Good luck to everyone doing City to Surf, I’m (hopefully) going to be out surfing on my ski.

Also, thanks to both Tim and Glen for writing my times on the board... in the first case because I was lying on the floor trying to breathe after the first WOD and in the second because I was just too short...

Thanks boys!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment