Friday, August 3, 2012

8/2 - DU's, KB's and Ring Push-ups

Another fun WOD today...  I was really looking forward to both the DU's and KB swings but was (rightfully so) a little fearful of the ring push-ups (so hard).

Skills
3 x 1 minute hollow body rocks
max. L-sit hold

Lots of core work in the skills today.  Doing hollow body rocks for a full minute is infinitely harder than just doing a hollow body hold (keep that in mind Coach Pete!).  Was challenging though and good.  Definitely felt it in the abs and will mostly likely feel it even more tomorrow.

WOD
4 rounds
50 DU's
15 KB Swings (55/35lbs - 24/16kg)
15 ring push-ups
11:19 Rx

This was fun.  I was looking forward to the DU's and managed the first and last sets unbroken though they looked very different - the first I was relaxed and in a nice easy rhythym whereas the last was quite ugly and just a struggle to hold on and finish them without stopping.  In the middle rounds I only had one stop in each due to fatigue and heavy breathing rather than actually tripping up.  They felt good though.

I did all 4 sets of the KB swings unbroken.  It was a mental battle more than physical - I had to push myself to keep going even when I wanted to put it down knowing that momentum was on my side if I kept going and that I was physically able to get there (that's what doing 24kg KB swings does - makes the 16kg more managable).

The ring push-ups were HARD.  Evil even though also really, really good.  I loved the challenge and how they so much resembled the ring dips that I couldn't do at Primal Throwdown.  I think at most when I was fresh(er) at the start of each round I could manage a total of 5 before going down into sets of 2 and 3's to finish them off.  I definitely want to keep at these though as I can see a ton of benefit in how they'd transition to so many other movements especially with the struggle for stabilising the rings.

Definitely a fun WOD, tough on the forearms but fun.  Tomorrow - Crossfit Total (CFT).  Again, another benchmark WOD that I have never done before.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment