Sunday, August 12, 2012

8/7 - "Nutts"

Today was my last WOD in Vancouver as my flight departed shortly before midnight.  I was excited to do this WOD however I was unsure how wise it would be to do it before sitting on a plane for 15 hours then another for 5.  I was quite tempted with the 'One Nutt' option but after we started I went with the full option as a few of the other gals were doing it as well.  I figured once I got through the pull-ups I wouldn't give up on thew wall balls and then I'd be good.

WOD "Nutts"
10 HSPUs
15 250/155lbs (115/70kg) Deadlift
25 box jumps 24/20
50 pull-ups
100 wall balls 20/14lbs (9/6kg) to 10 ft
200 DUs
Run 400 meters with a 45/25 lb (20/10kg) plate
29:23 Rx

We had a 30 minute cut-off - if we didn't think we'd make it we were told to do 'One Nutt' which only had 25 pull-ups, 50 wall balls and 100 DUs. 

The HSPUs were solid.  I did two sets of 5 (I think) down to an abmat on a 10kg plate.  The deadlifts were solid, broken into 8-7 reps.  I managed to really focus on form and not round my back even as I got tired.  The box jumps were consistent, not stopping throughout even though I didn't necessarily go all out on pace.

I was quite happy that I managed to do all the pull-ups in sets of 5 which is an improvement for me as I normally can only do 2 or 3.  There were times where I had to hang and reset my kip but I didn't come off the bar until 5 reps were done, I liked having that number set in my head.  I must say however that 50 pull-ups is a lot.  Heh.

The wall balls were horrible.  I'm still not very good at them and 100 is a HUGE number.  I did them all though even though at times they were only done 2 or 3 at a time near the end.  So hard.  These are definitely one of my goats that I need to work on (a lot!).

Once I suffered through all the wall balls the DUs were a relief.  I managed 30 on my first go and then mostly hung around 20 reps at a time throughout.  It was a good place for me to make up some time as I didn't rest very long when I stopped either just wanting to get the WOD done.

The 400m plate carry was tiring given all the work that had already been done and also because of the 45lb plate sprints we'd done on saturday which I could still feel in my arms.  It wasn't so much a run as a shuffle but I got through it and came back into the box just under the wire happy to have finished it.  It was really nice that Mel was also doing the full WOD Rxed and we were pretty much going at the same pace until the wall balls/ DUs but knowing you weren't suffering alone helped get through it.

Oh, and there was also the fact that we WODed with Joshua Jackson of Dawson's Creek and Fringe fame.  I did a double take when he walked in and got confirmation of who he actually was as we introduced ourselves.  I would have tried for a post-WOD sweaty photo but he was gone by the time I'd finished my WOD.  Heh.

I headed to the airport for my flight and grabbed some food to kill some time.  I also remembered to fill up my water bottle however I also managed to leave it behind in the terminal which I only realized as I buckled my seat belt on the plane.  Ooops.  It was a sad moment as I was about to embark on a 15 hour flight and knew I'd need the hydration.  As hard as I tried to grab as much water as often as I could I still ended up quite dehydrated and also quite sore by the end of the first flight.  If it didn't hurt so much it would have been quite funny how my muscles all took turns becoming sore - first my abs, then my legs and finally my biceps.  Just goes to show how much of full body workout "Nutts" is!  Ouch.
Dinner at the airport before my flight

No comments:

Post a Comment