Friday, August 17, 2012

8/16 - cockroaches!


Still felt pretty sore tonight mostly in my traps and neck and was hoping to get to the box a bit earlier to do some mobility but I really didn’t. It’s hard enough getting there on time for the 5pm class now that my commute over is longer so it didn’t really happen – a tiny bit of rolling out in my traps but that was it but the WOD tonight had nothing heavy and nothing overhead so that helped a bit.  I’m really missing picking up a heavy bar though, it feels like it’s been a while for me!

Warmup
300m easy run
Skipping
Then:
1 single skip, 1 push-up, 1 sit-up
2 single skip, 2 push-up, 2 sit-up…
Continue sequence for 3-4-5-4-3-2-1
Then same sequence of 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 of
1 mountain climber (equals both sides)
1 cockroach (equals both sides)

In the warm-up I really felt my core working hard, in that way that you definitely know it’s working, a lot.   I was a little worried in the second sequence of mountain climbers and cockroaches given how it felt to be doing reps that low knowing that the numbers were going to be much bigger for the WOD

WOD
3-6-9-6-9-12-9-6-9-6-3
Cockroaches
Single unders x 10
Mountain climbers
Hollow body rocks
12:56 Rx

It must be noted that for this WOD one cockroach/mountain climber meant each side so in effect 2 singles equaled one rep here.  That definitely made it hurt more.  I would have preferred to do DUs instead of SUs but Coach Match said he wanted ‘fast single unders’ – um, my single unders are definitely slower than my doubles.  Ah well, it’s good practice.  This WOD was quite tough on the abs most definitely.  The hollow rocks especially though they weren’t as bad as the 3x1 minute sets we did one day at Crossfit Kits.  Shout out to Coach Pete who I always think of while doing these though, I swear they are his favorite!
I was happy with this one – I rarely stopped and when I did it was only for a quick breath or two.  I couldn’t believe also the amount of sweat that was pouring off me about half way through.  I am however still missing heavy weights and with the new class times and me not being able to get there much earlier before the start I can’t work on my own stuff before or after which is a tough change – hopefully at some point in the future there will be an open gym session because there are just some days I need to lift heavy/ play on my own.

AfterWOD(s)
300m row & 30 med ball lateral jumps
1:58

Was super happy with this time – I had no expectations going into it but when I started rowing and saw a 1:48/500m split I knew I wanted to hold that and I did on average.  I finished the 300m in just over a minute then proceeded through the jump overs as best I could though mostly only managed 2 or 3 at a time before I’d just skim the top of the med ball and stumble a bit.  It was quite amusing.

Max hold L-sit
Played around a bit on the movement but never actually tried a max hold attempt.  I really need to work on my hip flexors and whatever else is needed to keep my legs up because right now that is the hard part.  It reminds me of the pistol day where at the end Coach Match had us hold up one leg over the box for a long as we could – and that was only one leg at a time. Definitely a weakness I need to work on.

skipping focus - source

No comments:

Post a Comment