Thursday, August 30, 2012

8/29 - more squats...

We had Coach Jack last night!!  Excitement only because I haven’t seen him since before I left for Canada – he’s been coaching mornings and I’ve been at the night sessions.  It was good to catch up and also to mix it up a bit.  And yes, even though Jack and Tim are twins I knew immediately that it was Jack and not Tim (funny stories there).


We had a small class tonight which was great.  I think many were probably still hurting over the squats from Monday.  I know I was.  I was in agony.  My coworkers spent all day laughing at me every time I had to walk anywhere.  It wasn’t pretty, my hamstrings weren’t my friends.  So in the morning when Tim told me we were doing benchmark ‘Nancy’ for the WOD I started to wonder how exactly I was going to do it.  Really.

Warmup
Run 200m
Skipping
15 ohs with skipping rope
100 skips
15 ohs with skipping rope
Across width of room do:
High knee stretch
Quad stretch/ reach for the ceiling
Inch worm
High kicks

My body barely worked for any of this warmup.  I’m not even joking.  I did a bit of rolling out before class but even that made me want to cry.  Every movement made my hamstrings scream.  



Strength
8 mins to get 2 RM turkish get-ups (left & right)

10kg

I didn’t really put much effort in here rather I was trying to convince my body that working out would be okay.  I was happy though with my form on these, the movement requires a lot of thinking – there’s a lot of steps to go through – but it seemed to go well.

With an empty bar do 15 ohs then load bar for WOD – again, this killed.  I was still determined however to Rx the WOD (mostly because it was a benchmark).  I knew I’d (probably) get through it just perhaps not in the 18 minute cut-off or with big sets of OHS.

WOD
“Nancy”
5 rounds
400m run
15 OHS (30/45kg)

17:50 Rx.5

This one started off very weird.  I led the entire first 400m run.  Like I said, weird.  I don’t have a fast of faster speed of running.  I pretty much have one speed and it’s barely definable as fast.  Hun and Glen were each a step behind me but wouldn’t pass which on any other day would have been the case from the start.  In a way it felt like they were letting me pace them but again, weird.  I kept a steady pace but nothing insane but yet still came out in front. 

For all the OHS I managed to complete them in two sets of 10 and 5 each.  I was happy that I was able to maintain that throughout even when the 10th rep was starting to get a little shaky in the later rounds.  I felt solid in the power snatch each time though once overhead I found my wrists were the weak point, they most definitely hurt after it was done.  The first round really killed my legs but it seemed the more reps I did the more my legs responded.  The additional blood flow I think helped to clear some of the soreness from Monday’s wod.  The runs were just steady, two 200m laps.  A few times my legs almost buckled at the corners but that just made me laugh and carry on.  On the second to last run with about 4 minutes left I told Coach Jack that I was going to finish – thinking that I would miss the cut-off time but keep going anyway.   

When I came back in from my last run I saw just under 17 minutes on the clock and knew I had to push it to make the cut-off.  I immediately picked up the bar and struggled through 10 reps (barely) and then put it down, stared at the clock and knew that I had to give myself about 30 seconds for the last 5 reps just to be sure.  And I did.  After a few deep breaths I picked it back up and finished it off.  I surprised myself at how fast I managed to do this wod, especially when comparing it to times from earlier in the day along with how my legs were feeling when I showed up.  As the workout progressed though my legs felt better though they hurt again today even after a night spent sleeping in my compression tights (they were almost part of my work attire today!).  125 (heavy) squats in 3 days is substantial.  Hopefully there aren’t any tonight as I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment