Thursday, October 11, 2012

10/10 - I love (power) snatches...

Warm-up 
Shoulder mobility with bands
Skipping – 50-40-30-20-10 single unders with 10 OHS (using rope) in between each
10-8-6-4-2 Partner hand slaps with 360° turn in between then reverse
Barbell warm-up with snatch grip

The mobility with bands felt really good as it always does.  I try to do this before every class so doing it at the beginning of class is just an added benefit.  During the skipping/ OHS the screw came loose and the little piece that keeps the handle on my speed rope came flying off.  Thankfully I found it but I missed half of the sets just fixing up my rope.  I partnered with Kayla for the hand slaps (hold a plank position and alternate taking one hand off the floor to slap your partners).  The first set 10-2 was fine and every round we both picked the same hand to start with and worked.  The second (from 2-10) was the opposite and led me into a fit of giggles as it was similar to that shuffle you have when you’re trying to walk past someone and you both try and change directions and it goes on and on.  So, an additional ab warm up there.  Typical barbell warm-up. 

WOD 
18-15-12
Power snatches (30/45kg)
36-30-24
Double-unders 
6:42 Rx.5 

This was good.  I love (power) snatches.  They were heavy(ish) and I did at most 6 in one go before resetting, taking a few breathes and going again.  I really focused on speed of getting under the bar like I did the other night with the clean and jerks.  If I focus on a quick drop then it’s more efficient and doesn’t tire me out as fast.  The double unders were good.  I tripped up early in the first set but otherwise went unbroken and I loved it.  It means I can make up a bit of ground on DU’s that I lose lifting heavy(ish).  Glen was set up behind me and a few times I could see him touching and going with the barbell and wished I could be doing the same but then I quickly thought about it and realized I was lifting half my body weight so the fact that I wasn’t was okay.  It was a good one.

There was one more thing we had to do after the WOD which was 10 skips with a heavy rope (think climbing rope but just long enough for skipping).  There is only one so it was just get over and give it a go when you finished and the transition from the speed of DU’s to the slowness of the heavy rope took some getting used to but once Kayla told me to do consecutive reps and just stand in one spot while the rope went around and once I figured out how to not have this rope pull me over it worked out well, so well in fact I got to demonstrate it for the next class.  Killer on the shoulders though.

Barely recognize myself (blue shorts, grey tank at the back) - Source















Post-WOD
Tabata ski-squats

Sitting against a wall with your knees at ankles at 90° angles.  First two rounds were normal, second two we had to lift our toes off the ground,   third two it as our heels up and the final two were with one leg up (alternating each round).  It hurt, a lot.  I almost wish we had been doing abs instead.

Muscle-up School
2-2-2 reverse pull-ups on the rings (using false grip)

Even though Shonelle wasn’t there tonight Tim was doing some extra work on muscle-ups (max reps with a weighted vest, no biggie… heh) so I decided to jump in on the ‘fun’ and managed three sets of 2 reverse pull-ups while killing my hands in the false grip.  I also attempted, twice, to actually do a muscle-up and while I wasn’t  close to getting one I was at least a few inches closer to where I need to be so there’s at least some measurable improvement from this work.

Mobility
Glutes
Lower back

WLC
Still doing well.  Eating is on track and everything is dialed in during the week – any slips ups are solely because I choose to rather than a result of not planning.  I’m a bit concerned not of the quality of food this weekend but rather the lack of quantity.  I’m in a conference all weekend and we can only eat at structured breaks and there are only 3 of them over a 13 hour day.  Given that I am used to eating almost constantly this might prove to be a big struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment