Friday, October 19, 2012

10/18 - HSPU's


Another day at the box and what would you know… HSPU’s were on the menu.  This is funny because late Tuesday night drinking coffee, eating cheesecake and discussing all things crossfit someone asked the very question of ‘when was the last time we did hspu’s in a wod’.  Very timely.
I was excited to add to the 45 reps I’d completed on Tuesday night (excited might not exactly be the right word on this one). 

Warm-up
300m run
Agility warm-up
HSPU practice

The run was a good catch up session with Angie and the agility warm-up was as good for my abs as it was for getting me warm (so much laughing).  The HSPU practice was also good (I swear doing them in pike position from a box is actually harder than doing them against a wall – but then again I like being upside down).  Coach Tim told me as we were getting set up for the WOD that they were meant to be strict hspu’s.  Uh-oh.  I was going to give it a try but wasn’t so sure.

Oh, oh… the awesomest thing about the HSPU practice was that I did three reps at the full range of motion!!  Not scaled.  Not ab-mat.  No plates.  Sure, I kipped them but I did them.  Initially I got one rep and was super excited then I tried again and got two consecutive.  Seriously, I was so stoked.  It was the first time I’ve ever gotten my head to touch the floor AND get back up again.  There might have been a little dancing and a HUGE smile.  

WOD 
10 rounds  
5 HSPU
10 walking lunges with bumper plate (10/20kg) 
9:59 

When I first saw this I was in fact excited, it looked like fun.  My kind of WOD.  I figured it’d be 3 or maybe 5 rounds and then I saw the 10.  Uh-oh.  That’s 50 hspu’s (again this week!).  I scaled them because there was no way I’d be able to do them strict AND with full rom.  I used an ab-mat with my hands on red plates (was going to go with the green plates but since we couldn’t kip I backed off a bit).  The ab-mat/red plate scaling was what I used in the ‘Albert Street WOD’ the other night but I only had to do 3 reps every minute not quite the same.

Four rounds in I was kipping.  There was no way around it.  I was fatigued – that’s a lot of reps over 3 days, especially strict.  The lunges (Rx) were good though not much of a break as your shoulders were still working.  I flew through the last two rounds just trying to get in under the 10 minute cut-off and did, barely.  Nothing like cutting it close.  

This was a good one.  I enjoyed the hspu’s and hope we get to do them a little more often.  That being said I know that I can re-do the ‘Albert Street WOD’ any time though I’m pretty sure I’ll have to do them strict next time.  Uh-oh. 

Mobility 
Did a bunch before class trying to stretch out a bit of the soreness from the gazillion thrusters.  Was chatting with Angie and Glen while doing it which might not have been the best idea as every time I laughed I also wanted to cry from the soreness in my abs.  I’m pretty sure there was nowhere that I didn’t hurt. 

WLC 
Beer, burrito… not so WLC but so worth it.  I haven’t had Mexican since the Gorge so I was quite looking forward to it and that beer tasted so very good.  Worth it.  The company was pretty stellar too.

Old photos but still appropriate - and yes, same shorts.



No comments:

Post a Comment