Thursday, October 18, 2012

10/17 - "Six Pack City"


Back to the box tonight.  Coach Match was at it again and though there were about 5 WODs on the white board I had already been clued in to what we were doing as I was sitting with Tim late the night before when the text came in about Wednesday’s WOD.  After a bit of back and forth of do you want to know/ I shouldn’t tell you’s (he thought it might stop me from going) – I committed to being there (no matter what) and he filled me in.  I knew what to expect and my head was in the game but I knew it was definitely going to hurt.  But let’s get back to the beginning.

Warm-up (also one of the WODs on the board)
In pairs
100 air squats
75 hand slaps (alternating hands in the plank position)
100 (light) KB swings (Russian) – 12kg

I partnered up with Glen and he chose the KB – and then proceeded to do 1 arm swings with it – it was really weird swinging something so light especially since it’s harder to go fast with it as you have to push it down rather than waiting on gravity.  It was a good warm-up though – went quick enough but I could already tell that my legs were tired while doing the air squats. 

10 Shoulder swings (front/back/sides)
5 push-ups between every set

WOD
50 thrusters (30/45kg)
40 sit-ups
30 KB swings (24/32kg)
20 toes to bar

13:42

This workout was all about the thrusters.  As an added incentive Coach Match told us that the number of unbroken reps in our first set of them would be a core on the PR boards – motivation right there.  I was hoping for 25 but only managed 15 before dropping the bar.  From there on out they were all sets of 5.  It seemed like then went on forever but I just focused on each chunk of 5 and then they were done.  

The sit-ups were a good break from it all. And then the KB swings… they were heavy – I actually picked a 24kg KB and a 20kg unsure of how I would go, especially as I nurse my back a bit from pulling it the other week.  Sidenote – went to physio and basically I’m not engaging my glutes as I should and therefore rely more on my hammies and quads (no wonder they are always tight) and also my back with my back obviously being the weakest point in that equation.  The solution – engage my glutes.  It was good to have this in mind doing the thrusters and swings.  Obviously it’s not going to change overnight but having it as a cue is good for me – especially in the KB swings, you can really feel the difference if you clench your butt on the swing it just seems that much easier which is how I survived the 24kg KB.  Yup, I went all Rx, the blue 20kg felt a bit lonely but that’s okay by me.

The toes to bar were a struggle.  In the warm-up we practiced a bit on how to link them with beat swings, knees high, knees to elbow and then full on toes to bar.  I can manage the swing/ tempo until I try t2b and then there’s something that slows me down just a second more and it messes with the rhythm.  Needless to say the t2b were just about getting them done and the last 5 or so were done as single reps. 
When sitting with Tim, Vini and Shonelle the night before when Tim read out the WOD it felt as if there should be a 10 something in there – ending at 20 just seemed incomplete so Tim suggested I add 10 burpees to the end.  I did – they actually weren’t that bad.  I read the clock after finishing the round of 20 then did 10 burpees – it was good to do them at the end when I was tired as it means they’ll only feel easier (perhaps) when done at other times.  Might have to do this more often.

AfterWOD
100 sit-ups for time

3:19

Last time we did this I managed 3:06 and was far from PRing this time.   It’s fine though – I still managed the set unbroken and  more importantly I had a yoga mat folded over underneath me which prevented me from chafing my butt – always the worst.

Mobility
Glutes
Lower back

WLC
Food co-op day – it’s actually a day late as I wasn’t there on Tuesday so left behind pulled pork and cauliflower mash for Angie and Bren on Monday and picked up their tasty meals last night – it feels like take out still every single time.  I had Angie’s Mexican mix for dinner – I am fairly certain it was amazing but I inhaled it so fast I can barely remember.  Looking forward to Bren’s roast beef and veggies as well.  It’s amazing, seriously – get with a few of your friends and start this up.  So many benefits.

A little note on the title - apparently Bren's exact comments the other night were "Six Pack City" and after all the sit-ups again tonight I'm sure Coach Match is determined we are all six pack city-ing by Christmas. Bring on bikini weather, I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment