Tuesday, October 23, 2012

10/22 - the day I LOVED burpees...



Day 1 of backing off on the shoulder work at the box tonight.  Though my shoulder doesn’t feel too bad (in the grand scheme of it ) – and merely aches I know I’m on the precipice of this going either way – more time off or rest now for long term preservation.

Got the box a bit early and no one was there so I did part of my physio homework (for engaging my glutes) just outside the door.  60 second holds (one per leg) beside the wall with one leg bent at 90° just touching the wall and keeping my hips in line and my core engaged.  This is harder than it sounds especially when my glute is actually firing.  I didn’t time it but went as long as possible.  I also managed to get two rounds of 10 reps of air squats with the black band (one wrap) holding 6kg KB in each hand.  My goal is to work up to double black with 10kg in each hand.  Baby steps.

Warmup was a mix of stuff.  A 300m run (with backwards and sideways thrown in there).  Leg swings, inchworm, walking lunges, KB stuff (deadlifts, one leg deadlifts, Russian swings both two and 1 arm, walking lunges)…

Strength 

10-10-10-10 weighted walking lunges
20-30-35-35

Everyone paired up and did this off of the rack but since someone was using the rack in my lane (iWOD), I just clean and pressed it to behind my head (totally made me feel badass even though it wasn’t that heavy).  I really focused on engaging my glutes through this one and keeping my knee in line.  Coach Match mentioned once I had finished the last set that my steps (lunges) weren’t long enough and that to go heavier and get the leverage needed to stand back up that I’d need to do this.


WOD
7 min AMRAP
3 burpees
7 KB swings (24/32kg)

Score is # KB swings
91 reps (Russian) Rx

I knew going into this that I wasn’t going to go overhead on the swings and stuck with Russian though still maintained the heavy KB weight.  I finished 13 total rounds with about 10 seconds remaining.  I knew I could get 3 burpees done in that time but had already made an agreement with myself that if I got through that last set of 7 reps that I didn’t have to pick up the KB again.  The burpees were actually fun for a change – I figure there are three possible reasons for this:

-There were only 3 reps
-They felt like rest
-They are getting easier for me

Either way it’s the first time ever that I actually enjoyed them.  They just felt solid.  This workout however reminded me of the WLC baseline workout that we’re going to do again in a few weeks – the one that felt like death when I’d finished it.  That has 7 burpees/ 7 KB swings and a sprint but still, no place to hide just like the one above.  I kept a steady pace, chalked up once or twice and other than pausing for a breath or two before picking up the KB I didn’t stop.  By the end however (and the reason I promised myself that those 7 were the last I’d have to do) my hands were hurting and I was worried I might rip.  I didn’t thankfully.

Mobility
Did some glute work with the ball
Pigeon pose (long hold) for hips/glutes

WLC
I have decided I’m no longer keeping score – more for my own accountability than anything else.  I have found that rather than equating bad food choices to the fact that they’re poor fuel for my body instead I’m solely looking at it as just a point.  Not the same at all.  I also really don’t like being told what to do and while I’m fully aware that it was my choice to sign up and commit to the WLC I still feel like I’m being dictated too, only further emphasized by the weekly challenges.  So I’m taking out the score aspect.  I’m still going to maintain the (mostly) WLC lifestyle but probably go back a bit to where I was happily living before which was mostly primal (and most of my weekly meals do fall into this WLC category anyway) and I’m going back to looking at food as fuel rather than points and I’m going to just live because in all honesty that’s the point – happily living while maintaining good habits overall and for the long term.   I know to some that this may seem like quitting but for me it’s more about taking back control that I feel I’ve been missing in all this – ownership of what I do day in and day out – without the score because in a few more weeks the score disappears anyway and I’m in this for the long term.  There is a lot more to my view on this but for now I’ll leave it out, everyone gets to make their own choices and this is mine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment