Wednesday, October 3, 2012

10/2 - 21/15/9 day

Back at the box and with Match and Kirst away and a uni break we had Jack coaching rather than Tim (he worked out with us instead).  It was a fun little change up though unfortunately still included shuttle sprints on the back parking lot lines. 

Warm-up 
Run to back fence
10 shuttle sprints (parking lot lines)
Run back to box
Hamstring stretch across box
Quad stretch across box
(young and spritely) bear crawl across box
Lunge stretch across box
3 rounds:
10 air squats
5 pushups (normal, wide, narrow)

Pretty solid warm-up and I really like the mini-WODs within them but I loved the partner warm-up we did last week.  Definitely added an extra element of ‘fun’. 

WOD 
21-15-9
Knees to elbows
Burpee box jumps
Hand-release push-ups
KB thrusters
Sit-ups
Squats 
19:34 Rx/20” box/12kg KB

This was a tough/ long one.  Knew that going in as all 21-15-9 rep schemes are harder than they sound.  I find knees to elbows harder than toes to bar but pushed through them.  I was pretty slow though because of my (as usual) hurting hands.  Good thing I had shaved off my callouses after Monday’s WOD or there would have likely been ripping.  The burpee box jumps told me just how tired/sore my legs were.  The jumps were a killer and there were more than a few times when I thought I’d face plant – especially on the way back down as I dropped to the floor fully with my face quite close to the box.  The hand release push-ups I did all Rx.  The last round I started them on my knees and after 3 reps realized this and so I didn’t count them and did 9 more Rx.  I used a bit wider positioning on my hands which made them feel a bit easier and didn’t ‘crunch’ my shoulder so much.  The KB thrusters were the worst/ hardest part of this WOD.  I knew they would be.  We used a KB in each hand and I did the first 21 with a 10kg KB and then upgraded to a 12kg KB for the 15/9 rounds because Angie was beside me and using the 12kg so figured I should push myself a bit more as well.  It hurt but I made it through it.   After all the other stuff, the sit-ups and squats were like gravy… just something to be added on but didn’t really account for much.  Managed to get through them unbroken and quite quickly.  In the first round however I did 25 sit-ups as early on I was trying to ask Coach Jack to grab the 12kg KBs for me and I was so focused on keeping count while communicating that I somehow managed to forget the rep scheme and figured 25 was a pretty standard number.  Ooops, just a bit closer to that six-pack I guess.

Apparently I don’t entirely pay attention/ quickly forget instruction when I get into a hard WOD because for some reason as I was on the round of 15 knees to elbow I thought we had a 15 minute cut-off and when I glanced at the clock and saw that almost 11 minutes had already passed I figured it was impossible but I was determined to try and get there so I sped up at this point.  Found another gear (which was a good thing of my forgetting) and pushed.  I think it wasn’t until I was near the end of the burpee box jumps that I thought ok, maybe it was a 20 minute cut-off and then shortly thereafter realized it was in fact a 25 minute cut-off.

How I broke the workout down – I did as many knees to elbow as I could without coming off the bar – as the rounds progressed the reps increased a bit because my hands I think just got used to it.  In the later rounds though the muscles were starting to cramp (after the sit-ups) which was a killer but still, I just kept at them even though it was slow going.  The burpee box jumps I just kept moving through all the rounds which is really how this goes.  I know I got slower near the end but there wasn’t any stopping.  The push-ups I managed in reasonable chunks (surprisingly).  I did 11-10 in the first round then I think 8-7 and 5-4.  I started to struggle towards the last few reps but managed to push them all out (and not on my knees either for a change).  The KB thrusters were hard.  I knew this going in because we did push-presses with 2 x12kg KBs at the primal throwdown and it killed.  As I mentioned I did the first 21 with 10kg KBs – 11-5-5 in terms of reps then went up in weight and did 8-7 and then 6-3.  Shonelle was cheering me on in the last set and told me to get the first 5 and so I did six because I could and knew that having to finish out with 3 would be a heck of a lot easier than 4.  I finished strong and under 20 minutes which was great.  Definitely a challenging WOD with no really places to stop and hide.  

Muscle-up School 
Reverse pull-ups on rings
1-1

Shonelle roped me into doing this again.  She’s a killer that girl.  We each did two reverse pull-ups then she continued on to some ring holds but I gave up at that point.  Everything was hurting so I went and rolled out instead. 

Mobility 
Rolled calves
Rolled glutes

Both hurt a lot.  Lots of tender spots and though I did this for a while I could probably use an hour at least of each.  I think 10 minutes is not enough anymore.  I also should have rolled out my pecs/ lats but didn’t and am definitely paying the price for it today.

Today is a rest day. Was supposed to SUP tonight but my body is telling me rest is more important and given Stimo is also still hurting from his insane amount of self-programmed burpees on Monday I think it's best for us both.  Will be doing lots of mobilisation and getting to bed early.  I can't wait. 

WLC Day 18(?) 

Totally compliant on all things today.  It was another food swap day and I’m excited to dig into Angie’s paleo lasagna and Brenda’s lamb chops with yummy salads over the next day or two.  Last night I dug into my creation that I shared with them and hadn’t had any of yet.  It was a slow cooked mix of beef mince, stewed tomatoes (from scratch), zucchini, mushrooms, onions and lots of chili spice over a bed of cauliflower mash.  Yummy.

Water consumption was beyond the WLC challenge number of 32ml/kg (body weight) or as they said 0.5oz/ lb body weight (I mean who actually understands US fluid ounces anyway)… heh.  So by their (underestimated in my opinion) standards I need to drink approx. 2 liters of water a day which I typically cover before noon. Given that it’s getting hotter and I also crossfit on many days I probably need to be drinking double that number (which I do).  Anyway… definitely something to keep in mind given the ‘guidelines’ that are lacking in any real clarity.  Also, remember to drink more as well if you have coffee as this acts to dehydrate you also and you need to make up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment