Wednesday, October 17, 2012

10/16 - Garage WOD(s)

Went over to catch up with Tim tonight and got a trifecta with Shonelle and Vini added into the mix.  Although a WOD was the tentative plan I showed up fully intending to convince Tim that this didn’t need to happen – though if you know Tim (especially these days) you knew that was going to be hard to do.  Soon enough Shonelle was wiping the last WOD from the fridge and ready to write up the next one.  After a bit of brainstorming we came up with the following pairs WOD.

WOD 
Partner WOD with Shonelle
4 Driveway sprints – there and back (2 each)
1 length of driveway OH walking lunges (10/20kg) – switch with partner any time
60 cleans (25/50kg)
60 push-ups
60 squat cleans (25/50kg)
1 length of driveway OH walking lunges (10/20kg) – switch with partner any time
4 Driveway sprints – there and back (2 each)
4 x 25 DUs unbroken 
12:50 

Yes, it's written on the fridge


It was boys vs girls for this WOD, lots of work to be split however we wanted to do it.  It took on a similar format to the Pink Day WOD which was cool and it was fantastic that all the equipment we needed was in their garage.

Once we got moving (our only warm up was a 400m job) it went fairly quickly.  We each did two back to back sprints to start and then Shonelle rocked out most of the OH walking lunges and left me a bit at the end (she was feeling generous I think as she could have gone the whole way).  We split the first set of cleans into 10 reps each and worked our way through them quite quickly.  I had my back to Vini and Tim but knew that Tim was working when I was so I tried to keep pace with him and pretty much did.  It was a good incentive to push even hard.  

Pause in the action here…  I LOVE THE 15KG WOMEN’S BAR… LOVE

I’m back.  Seriously though, love that bar.  It has such a sweet spin on it that made those power cleans quick and easy.  Love.  Okay, carrying on…

The push-ups like the cleans were consistent and not too bad.  I’m finally doing full push-ups in the WODs (still on my knees in warm-ups usually) and they’re definitely getting better.   Then it was back to the cleans (and thanks to Tim for suggesting that the second round be squat cleans).  These hurt.  It was the first part of the WOD where I slowed down.  Shonelle and I were neck and neck with the boys still at this point but the squat cleans got them more than us (Shonelle was iWODing because of her back and therefore just doing cleans again and not squatting).  My squat cleans were horrible, I could tell that my legs were fatigued and my knees were quite wobbly – poor form.  Ugh.  I think I did the first set of 10 and then from there I was only able to do 8-7 and Shonelle picked up the extra 5 for me.  We split the OH walking lunges 50/50 – I started and knew that my legs wouldn’t have more than half of the driveway PLUS we had to do unbroken DU’s as well.  It worked.  We split the sprints this time, alternating for each one, as we were finishing the boys were just starting their lunges.

The DU’s was a fun added twist that Tim threw on at the end.  I’d mentioned it to him as I’d seen it in a WOD on Crossfit Kits programming -  they had 3 rounds or something with lifting and DU’s (25 or 30) and you had to do them unbroken to move on in the WOD.  I liked the challenge.  I stuffed up my first round because I hadn’t tied my ponytail down and my hair caught the rope.   Shonelle rocked out our first set of 25 so I had to pick it up and got another one right away.  We then went back and forth a few times with me getting tripped up at 24 reps one time which is so hard – so close but yet not enough.  We both got another 25 unbroken and were done.  Over.  Finished.  The boys rocked their DU’s and finished only a minute behind us.  It was a good WOD and fun to all be working together/ in close proximity.

After the WOD I knew I was going to do another one.  The Albert Street WOD – aka their house WOD.  I really wanted my name on their board.  

Albert Street WOD
Strict HSPU’s
Max. rounds EMOM
15 rounds @ 3 reps per round (stopped due to time, not missing reps)

Thanks Vini for the photo






















The premise of the WOD is this – you start at 3 reps per minute of strict HSPU’s and go until you can’t get the three reps in the minute.  If you get at least 10 rounds then the next time you do the WOD you add another rep (in this case you’d go for 4 per minute).  It’s a progression WOD and quite fun in how it works.

I started with HSPU’s to an abmat but it wasn’t too much of a struggle.  Vini suggested that if I got 10 rounds to an abmat then instead of adding a rep I just decrease the height – I liked this plan but… I wasn’t going to wait until 10 rounds.  After 5 rounds I grabbed the 5kg plates and put my hands on them and therefore increasing the depth of the HSPU.  There were a couple rounds in the middle that I struggled a bit – went for a rep and didn’t even try to push back up as I got stuck at the bottom.  After 10 rounds I decided 15 would be good and that I could do it so that was the cut-off (we had to be somewhere by 7pm).  Somehow towards the end I was managing 2 reps at a time rather than just singles as I had been doing – it was weird but worked and I was happy to finish 15 rounds and more importantly get my name on the house board!

"Albert Street" WOD board

















For not wanting to do a WOD it was a fun night  of TWO WODs.  Lots of fun! Thanks guys. 

Best dressed?






















WLC
Not a great day food wise – had more coffee (black) than water.  Had a sandwich for dinner with cheesecake as it was 11pm and nothing else was open but it’s all good.  Though on the flip side got some awesome WODs in and spent quality time with important people in my life.  I am okay with it all.

Also, since the Landmark Forum I have been exhausted, feel like I could sleep for days but yet I don’t want to.  There’s too much to do.  And I don’t feel heavy anymore, I’m not dragging.  As Vini so clearly put it last night –it’s purely a physical exhaustion, the mental exhaustion has been lifted and I love it – more time to do stuff.

Found a good quote today too which I feel is relevant to me right now…

“Everything is out there waiting for you. All you have to do is walk up and declare yourself in. No need for permission. You just need courage to say, “Include me”.
- Stuart Wilde

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the quote. Also, the positive comment I said about your abs the other day was 'six pack city'. Repeating it because your abs are rocking in that pic.

    ReplyDelete