Wednesday, October 24, 2012

10/23 - Today I loved the rower...

Another day at the box and another movement (that I used to dislike) I loved… what is going on this week?


Warm-up

3 rounds
Row
Run 300m

The row lasted for as long as the other group was running 300m and vice versa.  After our third row as we were on the run I was thinking ‘at least we’re finished rowing’ but alas, that wasn’t to be.  As we got back Coach Match had us get back on the rowers and row 500m for time.  For the 3 earlier rows we were rowing for watts which meant when we switched to 500m split times it was a bit weird to correlate the two.  When rowing for watts the goal was to keep above 200 (I presume average watts?) and I was steady at about 220 or so with about 29 strokes per minute.  For the 500m row I was on average about 1:50 (which makes sense as my overall time was in fact 1:50/500m) trying to stay around 30 strokes per minute.  I feel solid at that rate and able to maintain that pace over some distance without killing myself.  Baby steps as the rower has the potential to destroy me – as it was my glutes were already super tight and in agony every time I stepped (hobbled?) off the rower.

Row 500m for time
1:50 (PR)

 WOD
12 min AMRAP
10 pistols (alternating legs)
6 L-sit pull-ups or strict pull-ups
6 calorie row
8/3

Still on reduced shoulder week and therefore instead of doing the strict pull-ups (anything overhead or ‘crunchy’ in my shoulder is out for me this week) I subbed a 6 calorie row and actually loved it.  The muscle groups were similar to those that I would have used doing the pull-ups and the 6 calories was short enough to go full out on it – it was about 8-10 strokes I think for me to finish the work – about 20 seconds or so.  I really enjoyed it – I feel strong on the rower and need to incorporate it more I think going forward – it’s also a good focus for engaging my glutes (as will be more walking lunges Coach Match informs me… ugh).

The pistols were ugly.  I scaled with a 2.5kg plate in my outstretched arms but even then some would not have counted in competition.  My quads were on fire and holding up my leg was really difficult.  I slept in my compression tights last night and while I’m walking today I’m not quite walking normally.  It’ll be interesting to see how the stiffness progresses as I sit at my desk all day.

Also, although it's a week to preserve my shoulder I couldn't help but attempt to do some full ROM handstand push-ups after class with the boys.  I got 3 consecutive kipping HSPU's with my head fully onto the ground.  Super excited about this! 

Mobility
Rolling out quads (agony)
Rolling out IT bands

Physio Rehab
60 second one legged stands (one each leg)

WLC
Not tracking points but still on track.  Had Brenda’s awesome dinner last night – broccoli/beet/apple(?) salad with roasted chicken… yum!  Also have made ridiculously tasty trail mix as of late and am loving it – super easy…  throw a variety of your favorite nuts into a ziplock bag (almonds, walnuts, pecans, cashews), add shredded (WLC approved) coconut, raisins (sultanas), pepitas, sunflower seeds and cacao nibs, mix up and inhale (um, eat).  I make up a bit batch and throw in the fridge and just pull from this when the need arises.  The cacao nibs take it over the top – I’ve always been one to aim for the chocolate in trail mix (who hasn’t) and thought I’d miss not having it but the chocolate undertone of the nibs add just enough to make me keep going back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment