Friday, December 28, 2012

12/25 - 12/26 SUP Lovin'...

Picked up my new toy on Saturday and got it in the ocean on Christmas Day... Merry Christmas to me... it is AMAZING.  It picks up every little bump so easily and glides through the upwind...

On Tuesday Cam and I headed out at Mullaloo Beach with the toys though we didn't realize how windy it was.  We didn't venture far at all, just did some circles really though I was loving the surfing... can't wait to get 'Gonzo' out for a downwinder.  Yup, she's named.  A combo of Gonzo the Great from the muppets and from Hunter S. Thompson's writing...  after playing on her in the surf the name seemed apt.

My older white board also got named after a muppet - it's Beaker, goes well with the voice and I like it.  Thanks Cam!

Since Tuesday was so windy Cam and I decided to give the SUP's another go on Wednesday (Boxing Day).  We ventured to Bicton Baths mid morning presuming it'd be fairly uneventful and just a nice time on the water but once again we were wrong, only I didn't realize this until we'd already reached the Walter Point spit and then had to head back.  Saying it was windy is an understatement...  every time I stopped paddling I instantly started going backward.  There were several times I looked to the shore just to see if I was making any forward progress, I was but slowly...

Cam was a trooper as he's a new SUP paddler and he still made it all the way back.  We stopped at the beach about half way back and I gave him three choices of how we could proceed...

The Options:
-one person could sit with both boards and the other could go and get the car
-he could stay there and I'd paddle back and get the car
-we could both paddle back and get there eventually

He picked the last option thinking the wind was slightly less (because I told him it likely was)... and we made it.  He was doing really well though and has now improved dramatically as a SUPer in all the time into the wind.

My new toy... Gonzo...




No comments:

Post a Comment