Thursday, August 1, 2013

7/31 – ‘Nate’



There are more parts of my body this morning angry at me than there are not and I’m somewhat happily enjoying this.  Last night was solid.  Definitely not easy but it felt good.  We are 2.5 weeks into the new Sports Extra programming and everyone is still going strong and more importantly getting strong(er).  A few people made this comment last night and I can’t help but agree.

Every movement containing squats feels solid these days – cleans, snatches (minus my mental headcase-ness), CJ’s… the list goes on.  And then there is the fact that in the past two weeks I’ve solidly acquired chest to bar pull-ups and have the bruises to show for it.  They are there now whenever I want them, not just sometimes and not ‘almost-but-just-not-quite’.  Included on the list too – Rx HSPU’s.  Yup, did these in a WOD last night and some sets unbroken too. 

I’m feeling stronger and more important than that my body is adapting – there are days still that I’m a little sore or tired or my legs feel heavy but I’m not hurting, the programming is varied so that we’re not smashing the same muscles day after day – the variety is amazing and I’m excited for each new WOD, I’m learning to love squats (or at least trying to say it until I do) and the feeling of us all working through the extra bits together makes it that much more amazing – we truly are in this together and when it comes down to competition time we will be that much stronger as a group for it.  Bring it on… I’m looking forward to continuing this journey.

WOD
‘Nate’
AMRAP 20
2 muscle-ups 4 c2b pull-ups
4 HSPU’s
8 KB Swings (24/32kg)
10/1* (Rx HSPU/ Rx KB Swings)
*2 c2b completed

First off let’s talk about ‘Nate’ – he’s a bit of a jerk (in a really good way) though I did make a comment last night in a joking manner that I didn’t know who he was but… Here’s what I know, he’s a hero.  That’s all that matters but I think today I should also learn more.  From crossfit.com… this is Nate:


In honor of Chief Petty Officer Nate Hardy, who was killed Sunday February 4th during combat operations in Iraq.  Nate is survived by his wife, Mindi, and his infant son Parker.

Nate did a number on me last night – I finished the WOD sweaty and worn out, shirt off (for the first time ever at SXF) and hand bloody and I kind of loved every minute of it.

It wasn’t a WOD that was a lung burner, it was heavy, it was steady and long though the time ticked by quite quickly.  Most of the movements I tried to do unbroken unless I feel off the wall on the HSPU’s (a few times) or my hands started to tear near the end – then I broke up the C2B.   I am pretty sure that it’s only the second time that I’ve swung the 24kg KB for more than a few reps and I was determined not to break up any of the sets even though brining the KB down was what in the end caused my hands to tear open (and bleed).  Oops.

This was the first workout that I managed to HSPU’s Rx for the entire WOD.  I’m feeling strong.  I did a few sets unbroken though for some was struggling to stay on the wall (with my feet). Coach Scotty came around at one point and told me to stop looking at the ground and to cast my eyes forward which made a huge difference – an amazing cue. 

I loved this WOD.  I loved it even as my hands tore and started to bleed (they didn’t really hurt until it was over).  It was funny too, about a minute after I realized that I had torn my hand Coach Scotty shouts to the class – ‘Stop before you tear your hands’.  Too late but I didn’t mind, I wasn’t stopping as I felt too good with it all.  Did most of my c2b mixed grip but at one point because of the tear I did one regular grip and it still was no problem – love it.  I saw Cam on a few of the sets early on where we were much on pace and when I could string together my c2b I was actually ahead of him (and secretly loved it!)

I was happy with my score.  I had no idea where I was at as I couldn’t see the number on the clicker I just pushed the button after each round.  I had a nice little compact corner in the back of the room so I didn’t have to move around much and the people around me were all good at cheering for each other which helped as the WOD progressed.  So Nate, as much of a jerk as you may have been I kind of loved you all the same.  Til we meet again and I know we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment