Thursday, January 12, 2012

1/11... KB Swings!!!

WOD
100 KB swings for time (24/32kg)
complete 5 burpees and run 200m every time you put the kettlebell down
13:50 (20kg!)

Loved this!  I was a little skeptical with grabbing the (blue) 20kg KB...  I have only ever done one WOD with it and I think we only had 20 swings and I managed 10 at a time so that was a bit daunting.  I wasn't sure that I could do 20 consecutive (at a minimum) even initially so I figured I'd be doing a lot of burpees and running but... that's not how it went down.  First set I knocked out 30 reps - I was hoping for 25 but mentally pushed beyond and got a full 30 and then burpees/run.  I went fairly hard on the run but saw Pete not pushing so much and I realised that this was a better strategy for if you pushed too hard on the run and were out of breath you'd either do less reps on the swings or have to wait to calm down a little before picking up the KB neither were to your advantage so on the rest of my runs I ran but not all out.

My swings went 30-20-20-13-17... I struggled through the second set of 20 and figured I'd have one more run (no way was I going to be able to pull out 30 solid reps to finish) so I was aiming for minimum 15 on the second to last set with as many more after that as I could but on the 13th rep I put the KB over my head and had to put it down and run then.  The last 17 were tough - mainly the last 4 (thanks for the cheer Pete!) - but there was no way I was running again and so I mentally toughed it out and finished just under 14 minutes.

I was *so* happy to make it through the entire WOD with the 20kg KB - at the outset I didn't think I'd make it - was thinking I had maybe 50 reps at 20kg but nope... I did it!  I am so proud that I did - that I pushed myself both through the WOD and with the courage to pick a (very) challenging weight.  I'm getting a lot stronger these days - really seeing the progress and I'm loving it all!  Now I had earned these next two rest days but tonight I'm going climbing with a friend which should be a blast... I won't mind falling into the river as it's a high today of a *hot* 36C (97F)... can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment