Friday, January 27, 2012

1/25... (almost) in tears...

WOD
40 thrusters (30/40kg)
Each time the bar touches the ground, do 5 more double-unders than the previous time
then
40 snatches
Each time you rest, do 2 more push-ups than the previous time
12:14 (25.5kg)

This WOD almost made me cry... what a difference 2.5kg can make over 40 reps...  I was initially going to go with 23kg but being competitive I wanted to get the highest weight for the girls on the board (there weren't many girls who did this WOD) so I added the extra 2.5kg... I felt every little bit of it.

The thrusters were horrible - the overhead portion especially - after all the other heavy (overhead) lifting we'd done on monday and tuesday BUT... the DU's were much of a penalty to me (aka punishment for resting) because I can breeze through them so fast now - I allowed myself the rest and did the DU's - ended up as high as 20 DU's - all done unbroken first go round which was awesome.

The snatches were also hard and they almost made me cry.  I was trying to get as many done in the first 'set' as I could but only managed 11.  Second set I was going for at least 10, hoping for more and I only managed 10 (barely).  Third set I wanted 10 but only managed 7 leaving me with 12 to go.  As I was pushing my way through the 6 push-ups (sets of 3 were all I could manage) I was close to tears knowing how many reps I still had and feeling how done my shoulders were... every tiny muscle was hurting, the tears were in my eyes, I was emotional but I wasn't done...

At this point everyone else was pretty much done and it was just me.  Coach Match came over and asked me if I'd get all 12 in one go and I shook my head - no way.  I said 6 and 6 and he said try to do more than half this first set - 8 or 7... so I started.  Match was counting and encouraging me the whole way - I hit six, then seven... okay, I got 8... finished the 8th and the idea of doing 8 push ups for putting the bar down with only 4 reps to go didn't appeal to me (push-ups ARE punishment), another rep... 3 to go.  One more, one at a time, another.  Last rep... I made it through all 12... barely... it was emotional and hard and everything hurt - especially all the little muscles in my shoulders but I got it done.  I know however that if it had just been me and my mind I would have done those 8 push-ups so thanks Match for talking me through it.

I was promised no overhead lifting for thursday's WOD... that was a lie - more coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment