Friday, January 20, 2012

1/19 - clean and press and clean and press and...

Strength WOD
400m barbell carry
28kg

This was tough but not as bad as the 400m KB carry we did a while back.  You could 'rest' the bar on the back of your shoulders which meant that you didn't have to worry about your forearms blowing up (which was necessary for WOD 2)...  didn't have to put the bar down which maybe means I could have gone heavier but I was done at the end. 

WOD
100 clean & press for time (30/45kg)
burpee penalty every time you put the barbell down – 3 for the first rest, 6 for the next, then 9 and so on…
17:19 (23kg, 9 burpees)

Just like the 100 KB swings last week - the best was to get me to knock out high numbers of reps even through the struggle is to put in a 'punishment' that I despise... last week it was 200m runs, this week was way worse... burpees.  And not just burpees but increasing numbers of burpees, first time bar on the ground 3, next 6, then 9, etc.  Thankfully I only put the bar down 3 times... first set managed 42 reps - aimed for 30 then mentally pushed myself for 5 more reps, then 5 more, then 5 though only managed 2.  Second set was 24 reps bringing me up to 66, with only 34 left I knew I could do them in two sets (there was no way I'd be able to do them in just one), it was getting HARD.  My wrists were killing and my forearms were starting to blow up.  I did 20, 9 burpees then struggled through the last 14.  It was sweet getting them done within the 20 minute cut-off.  I'm also happy with the weight that I chose, it was hard.  Definitely good using the slight dip on the clean and then a push press rather than trying to work it with just arms.

Soreness today - back of my neck from the barbell carry feels a little tender as does the area surrounding my collar bone from the cleans.  I'm sure if I looked closely I'd see some bruising.  Add to this the fact that I'm still hobbling around because my calves are still tight from skipping, I'm a bit of a mess - even with lots of mobility work last night... ugh.  So glad today is a rest day.  Looking forward to an easy weekend too - I'm just feeling a little drained and need some ME time...

Not from last night - Source

No comments:

Post a Comment