Tuesday, January 10, 2012

1/9 - Shoulder burner...

WOD
7 min AMRAP -
7 OHS (30/45kg)
12 push-ups
rest 3 mins
7 min AMRAP -
7 push presses (30/45kg)
12 pull-ups
 6/5 and 5/3 (18kg OHS, push-ups knees, 18kg push press, orange/yellow bands for pull-ups)

This was killer on the shoulders - the push-ups became really hard real fast because of the shoulder work on the OHS (which you don't notice as much doing them).  I kept up a steady pace but a few of the rounds I had a brief rest after 5 OHS and my pushups were down to sets of 6 then 3-3.  I did the OHS slower to ensure I was getting full depth on each one (as was our focus last week) and did the push-ups from my knees again because I wanted to ensure the full range of motion (ROM) and also keeping my body tight (and not caterpillaring on the way up)

For the second AMRAP I was going to increase the weight on the bar by 5kg (~10lbs) for the push presses but at the last second decided against it and I'm so glad I did.  The push-presses (one of my favorite movements) were steady, I managed to complete all rounds in full sets.  The pull-ups were more of a struggle both with the tiredness of my shoulders and the hurt in my hands (still healing from 'Cindy').  I did the first two rounds with just the orange band but realized that I was barely getting 2-3 reps at a time so I was stalling quite a bit.  I added a yellow band after (thanks Kirst!) which made a huge difference and allowed me to go stead(ier).

I'm really starting to be strict on myself for full ROM - I realise I'm only cheating myself if I don't so I'd rather go slower/lighter to ensure this than blast through something in a half-assed way. 

AfterWOD
Max hold barbell overhead (13/20kg)
2:30

This was torture after the first WOD... it was physical AND mental... at approximately 2 minutes my shoulders just started shaking uncontrollably and I knew I couldn't hold on for much longer - I mentally tried to tough it out for as long as I could but figured the half way point was decent (there was a 5 minute cut-off).

My fave gals to workout with (and me doing pullups in the back) - Source

No comments:

Post a Comment