Monday, February 4, 2013

1/1 - Friday Night WODs

Friday night was a long night full of WODs, three hours of WODs to be exact but it was good.  Definitely good simulation for competitions anyway.


I headed to the box directly from a crazy day at work, too late for the 4:30 class but really early for 5:30.  I rolled out my back for a bit before watching the 4:30 class get going.  It was actually fun to watch from the balcony as you’ll see from the warm-up.

Warm-up

200m run

Tabata stuff – rotating through skipping (forward, backward, running), rolling over stretch, plank hold and something else I can’t remember

Mobility (as posted Friday)

Game Time!



Yup, Game Time!  That is pretty much all that sticks in my mind from the warm-up.  And as much fun as it was to watch the earlier class, it was even better to play ourselves.  It went something like this: split into 3 teams, everyone grabs a KB and slam ball (any weight you choose), bring the ‘stuff’ into their ‘nest’ and then waits for Coach Tara’s instructions.  First round, one minute, goal is to clear out your next by running ‘stuff’ (only one at a time) to either of the other two ‘nests’.  Second round was the same only the goal was to gather as much ‘stuff’ as you could.  It was hilarious.


I don’t know how it happened but on round one our team and one other both targeted the same team dumping all our stuff on them and eventually our nest was empty and solely being guarded by our team – every time an item was brought over someone was there to immediately bring it back out.  It was fun.  Round two was chaos.  I remember Sacha running the block on my then I tried to grab his arm another time to knock out the slamball he was carrying between two KBs (cheat!).  At the start of the round one guy on our team laid his entire body on our ‘stuff’.  We ended up getting penalized for this after all with a penalty of two burpees each (nicely done Tara!).  It was fun and definitely got all our heart rates up.


WOD #1 (daily programmed WOD)

Tabata

Row (for calories)

Push-ups Ring Rows

Jumping lunges

Score = sum of lowest total from each round

5+10+12 = 27

This was hard and also fun but mostly hard and made me unable to walk much immediately after it was over.

I tried to maintain 6 calories on the row and was doing well though also just getting it there each 20 second piece however I had a bad start on the 7th round and didn’t manage to get the counter to roll over into the 6 so got stuck with the 5.  Still pretty happy with this.  Tried to focus on pulling back both with my toes and heels to limit fatigue in my legs (not sure how much this actually worked).

I subbed ring rows for the push-ups as we did push-ups somewhere in the warm-up and I could feel my shoulder being twitchy.  They were hard, I realized after that they were pretty much using the same motion as the rowing had been so yup, killer.

The jumping lunges weren’t my strong suit strategically speaking.  I started too high – 20 reps in round 1 and 18 in round two but couldn’t sustain it.  I fell down to 15, tried to hold that but then dropped again to 12.  I think with some pacing earlier on I could have maybe held 15 but alas, lesson for next time.  This however destroyed my legs.  I sat for a bit but could feel the instant cramping and tried to keep walking a bit while the second group finished off.  I had a bit of time for some quad mobility before sports class.

Mobility

Quad rolling (agony!)

Sports Class


Another Friday night sports class with a solid turn out.

WOD #2

5 x 3 TGU (work up to max. weight)

12kg


I stayed light on these both to focus on good form and to not kill my shoulder further.  Coach Jono had an awesome explanation at the beginning as well in terms of the technique of the movement and creating vertical lines through each position to support the weight overhead.  It was a new perspective on it that I hadn’t connected before to the motion. 

Note each rep was once on each side so 3 reps = 6 TGU’s

WOD #3

Hang Snatch

3  x 2  @ 70% 1RM

3  x 2  @ 80% 1RM

2 x 2  @ 90% 1RM

25/29/32

The four of us gals in the class were grouped together and it worked out well.  Jaz, Ali and I were all working off the same 1RM weight (35kg) so it made the transitions easy.  We were also in the new strength room which is amazing. 


I felt solid through these.  At one point I dropped the first rep (I think in the second or third set of the first round) mostly because my brain was elsewhere.  I can’t tell you where but it most definitely wasn’t on picking up that bar.  Ha. 


Coach Tara at one point made a comment about how I’m dropping my chest in the squat (argh, I struggle so much with this) and Coach Jono made a comment about getting full extension before I pulled with my arms (good pointer).  I love snatching so this was a fun one for me.  I was ready to keep going when Jaz informed me that we were in fact finished.  


WOD #4

3 rounds

1 minute DU’s

1 minute muscle-ups

1 minute KB snatch (32/20kg)

299 (orange bands/ 12kg KB)

DU’s were the rockstar on this WOD for me.  In the first round I managed 63 unbroken in just over 30 seconds and kept on solidly throughout.  I like having this skill in my pocket.  Managed 85-80-75 for the rounds.

The muscle-ups were my weakest minute.  If we didn’t have muscle-ups we were to do 3 strict pull-ups then 3 ring dips.  I grabbed an orange band for the ring dips and a yellow for the strict pull-ups knowing how tired I was feeling and also the extra 2kg I’m still carrying.  I only got 3 of each on all the rounds and even at that I had to move up to the orange band after the first round as the strict pull-ups were tough – I think that’s why my shoulders were paying the price all weekend too.


I stayed with a light weight for the KB snatches as I’d never done them before and there is an added element from the dumbbell snatches that still confuse me a bit.  I did about 8 each round on my right side then struggled through as many as I could on my left, resting my right and switching back.  I managed 16-16-18 – I think the additional two reps in the last round were due to my finally working out the technique a bit more.  Still hard on my hands though.


It was a really good night and I’m happy that the final WOD was shortened from 5 rounds to 3 since we didn’t start it until well after 8pm and most of us were wanting to go home by then.  Glad I stuck it out and did it but also happy it wasn’t 8 minutes longer overall.


Starting strict paleo again today (February 4th) for three weeks.  More about it tomorrow but so far so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment