Friday, February 22, 2013

2/19 - Catching Up...


Haven’t felt up to blogging this week though have been having fun getting a ton of workouts in and they have been fun. 

Seemed like many people skipped the running WOD (200m repeats) on Monday night and instead showed up for Tuesday workout.  I was included in this group though did manage that 5km run with Cam.  I was paying for it on Tuesday (and Wednesday and also Thursday I think) with tired (and sore) quads and achy IT bands.  Ouch.  Probably means I need to run more (shhh, don’t tell Cam that!).

As I mentioned, EVERYONE showed up on Tuesday – it was the largest class as SXF ever (apparently, according to Tara there were 38 people) so we split into pairs and partnered off for the WOD.  I was with Shalon and she went first (which is a change for me – going second – but wasn’t as bad as I’d expected). 

She rocked the AMRAP and after watching her I knew I had my work cut out for me – it looked rough (and sweaty). 

WOD
15 minute AMRAP
 8 O/H Squats 40/30kg
8 Ring Dips
8 Box Jumps 18/24"
8 Chest to Over Head 40/30kg
6 rounds/ 8 OHS

There wasn’t a lot of room to rest on this one with there only being 8 reps of each movement – they were a  struggle but it was hard to justify stopping.  This however wasn’t a choice for me as the time went on.  I started off strong on the OHS but then in later rounds my wrists started to hurt and I had to break up the sets into typically 5-3.  It was however a lot of fun to pick up the bar and power snatch it easily over head.  Snatching always makes me feel pretty badass.

I scaled the ring dips with an orange band as these are horrible for my shoulder.  One trick I gained from Shalon (which was awesome) is to put one knee into the band at a time to prevent swinging (by jumping both up together).  This made it infinitely easier to keep my arms locked by my sides and the rings from moving too much.  Even with the band I broke most of these into two sets aiming for 5-3 as much as possible.

It was funny in how we were set up – Shalon and I were at the front of the room for the bar and box work but our rings were in the back corner so there was a bit of a trek to get there.  It also served as a bit of rest in the middle of each round – I clearly remember Haydo telling me to use it as rest, get some deep breaths in and then get right onto the next movement.  It was good. 

The box jumps were pretty easy as they weren’t high (though being lower actually took a bit of getting used to initially).  I did all these unbroken and got them out of the way quickly.


The chest to overhead was tough though I managed to push press most of them before moving into a bit more of a push jerk in the later rounds.  I did all the rounds unbroken though sometimes had to rest briefly in the rack position.  

It was a good WOD and surprisingly the 15 minutes went quite quickly.  Initially going into it I was expecting to maybe get 5 full rounds and then a few reps but then I saw Shalon go (she got the same score as I did) and I knew how hard I’d have to work to get there and I was more than happy getting 6+ rounds in, especially at Rx weight.

Mobility
Calf rolling
Quad rolling
Back rolling
Wrist stretching

No comments:

Post a Comment