Friday, February 15, 2013

2/14 – Valentine’s Day and Dumbbells


The best thing about today was when Angie asked me what was on the cards for Valentine’s Evening and I outlined the WOD for her.  Exciting I know.  Bit of a disappointing night overall but at least the WOD (and Crossfit) was solid.

Warm-up
90 seconds skipping (singles)
Sit-ups, back extensions, push-ups
90 seconds skipping (singles with varying jump patterns) – 3 burpee penalty every time you tripped up
Dumbbell progression
30 seconds of DU’s (for scaling)

Fun warm up.  Really full class so there were skipping ropes flying everywhere.  I liked the 90 seconds of skipping where you had to do 3 burpees every time you stuffed up.  I guess it’s because I (thankfully) only had to do 3 in total.  Nice.

I also really enjoy the scaling for DU’s.  Basically everyone does max DU’s in 30 seconds and then based on the number you get your reps for the WOD are set – for example:

20+ reps – Rx
11-20 reps – 40/20/10 (or something to that effect)
1-10 - 25/12/6
None – double single skips

It allows those just learning DU’s or getting there the chance to do them in the WOD but also get the rest of the work in.  Nice format.

WOD
80-40-20
Du’s
Single Arm Shoulder to Overhead (15/20kg)
Sit-ups
14:53 Rx

Can I first off just say how happy I was to Rx this entire WOD.  I wasn’t sure I’d even be able to press 15kg with one arm let alone 140 reps in total.  I grabbed a 12.5kg dumbbell and had it beside me just in case but it didn’t even cross my mind to go there.  And while the shoulder to overhead took the longest and was quite hard the sit-ups were actually the worst part of the WOD.

The DU’s were solid.  I think I tripped up once or twice on the 80 and then did the 40 and 20 unbroken.  The shoulder to overhead I tried to break up into matching reps on each side, started at about 10 but then for the rest was somewhere between 6 and 8 each side which worked well.  My left arm is definitely more awkward than my right but still got through it.  It was a huge mix of pushpress and pushjerk and whatnot but mostly felt solid.  What I didn’t realize (especially on the set of 80) was just how much use my core was getting.  I didn’t feel it until…

The sit-ups.  Ouch!  The first 80 were a killer.  My core was definitely unhappy but I kept a steady pace and worked through them.  For the rounds of 40 and 20 I was at least aware of the pain I’d feel but that didn’t help much.  Still just kept at them though.  Definitely a good indication of how solid your core is (and needs to be) for lifting.  And boy, do my abs hurt today.  Ack!  Getting worse as the day goes on.

I was happy with my time – looking at this beforehand I was thinking somewhere between 15-20 minutes so when I started the last 20 push-ups with just under 14:30 I figured I could make it under 15. 

Mobility
Rolling out calves with ball
Calve stretch
Rolling out triceps
Rolling out back

I didn’t feel it much on the DU’s but my calves are still very crunchy – I think from SUPing the other night (good that I’m using my legs a lot, bad that they are now so tight).  Rolling out with the ball was very painful but so necessary.  I need to do more though still as there are some solid knots.

It was funny when Coach Scotty told us to roll out our triceps as I know for myself they didn’t feel very sore/ tired until I started.  Wow.  Definitely some neglected muscles there.  It felt goo though to get in there.

Back at it tonight probably for just some sports class – the WOD is a lot of pull-ups which I’m not sure my hands will handle at this point.  We’ll see how the day progresses.


No comments:

Post a Comment