Friday, February 22, 2013

2/20 - Mid-day/ Mid-week WOD


Skipped out on work today as I just felt the need to sleep.  On top of that work is pretty slow at the moment so there wasn’t a ton of incentive to go in plus my Again Faster 15kg Team Bar arrived and was at the Courier place ready to be picked up (they screwed up on trying to deliver it).  

After Cam left for work I fell back into slumber – happily.  I woke up feeling pretty good around 10am and after calling the Courier and finding out they were located out by the airport I figured I could hit up Southern on my way and get into the noon WOD.  I found a new breakfast place in East Fremantle (Hubble’s Yard) and had an amazing breakfast wrap before I headed to workout – probably not my best idea but it was still tasty.

There were a lot of pull-ups programmed and I was determined to not rip my hands so after arriving I used what seemed like half a roll of tape on my hands and was ready to go.  Initially I thought I’d be the only one there (it was so quiet, especially compared to Tuesday’s full class) but it turned out there were 4 of us ready to go which was fun and also pretty easy going.

WOD
Run 600m
30 Kb Swings 24/16kg
30 Pull Ups
Run 400m
20 Kb Swings 24/16kg
20 Pull Ups
Run 200m
10 Kb Swings 24/16kg
10 Pull Ups
17:08(?) Rx

Can’t remember my exact time on this one but it was somewhere above 17 minutes but under 18.  The last 5 pull-ups almost killed me – or more specifically almost tore my hands – but I’ll get to that.

I was still pretty full on this one and it was hotter outside than I had realized which made this mid-day WOD harder than I had expected – that being said I was pretty sure the pull-ups were totally going to suck.

I was steady on the runs – going back out for 200m after the 400m was tough but better than it being a total of 800m and it helped knowing that the runs were getting shorter each round.  It was fine in the shade but there isn’t really much of that so it was toasty overall.

The KB swings were easy.  I did the first and last sets unbroken but split the middle 20 up mostly because I ran right back in the door and picked it up and really needed water in the middle.  I probably could have done them unbroken if I’d taken a bit more time before picking it up though I think overall I didn’t lose any more time either way.

The pull-ups are what got me overall in this one.  I just couldn’t do more than 5 at a time, mostly only doing 3’s.  My hands just hurt.  By the end – the last 5 – I could feel the skin on the ends of my fingers (just above the bend) moving – not tearing but definitely no longer actually connected.  I had already done so many pull-ups Rx that I didn’t want to not make the last 5 so I did singles and used a reverse grip which was a bit easier on my fingers and I managed not to rip but instead had 4 lovely blisters.  Thankfull today (Friday) they’re feeling ok and still not ripped.

Was happy to get this one done mid-day so that I could have a nice afternoon nap and then have plenty of time to make me some paleo pizza.  It was amazing.  The crust was a little sweet which was perfect.  I’ll post the recipe I used separately (though there are plenty out there that come up with a quick google search).


My new toy

No comments:

Post a Comment