Wednesday, April 10, 2013

4/6 - 2013 Open WOD 13.5



CrossFit Games WOD 13.4
AMRAP
15 Thrusters 45/29kg
15 Chest to bar Pull-ups
If 90 reps (3 rounds) are completed in under 4 minutes, time extends to 8 minutes.
If 180 reps (6 rounds) are completed in under 8 minutes, time extends to 12 minutes.
Etc.
19

Ah, where to start with this one?  I thought (was hoping?) that we wouldn’t see a variation of ‘Fran’ again this year as we had already had a repeated WOD but no such luck.  Regardless I was still guessing c2b pull-ups as we hadn’t seen them.  Unfortunately this movement alone had me already conceding to Cam that he’d win the massage (the wager for 13.5 was 1 hour with Luke).

My chest to bar pull-ups are non-existent and my ‘ideal’ body weight is currently 3kg higher than where I’d like it to be.  Struggling with this one and think I need to start tracking my food more diligently but that’s for another post.  Back to the WOD…

Initially I was planning on doing in Friday night in the 5:30 class.  I got to the box nice and early and spent an hour mobilizing all parts of me.  This was really necessary.  I talked with Coach Hayden a bit on how to get c2b working for me, told him that I struggle with actually touching the bar though I’m well high enough.  He told me that it might have to do with my shoulder mobility and to really work on that area.  So I did.  And then I tried a c2b, I got the first one (with a double kip) and then that was it.  I tried some more, I tried different grips, I tried with Shalon and Steph, I tried again when Cam arrived.  I kept trying and getting nothing except building frustration.  I knew better than to do the WOD.  I felt tired, needed more rest (was out late the night before at the Frank Turner concert) and so I called it a night.  I was a spectator and cheerer and it was great.  13.5 would wait until Saturday and it did.

Again I got to the box well early (thanks to Cam wanting to get to Barbell Club) and mobilized a ton more.  It was good and 13.5 was calling my name and Cam so kindly was judging me.

I paced the thrusters, 3 sets of 5 with a brief rest in between mostly to just shake out my arms and get back on it.  These felt good.  Then it was to the bar.  The dreaded bar.  I spent the rest of my time trying to do c2b. I  got close a bunch of times, just couldn’t get the last two inches of space between the bar and my chest to close.  So close.  I did however manage to get 4 reps.  I need more practice definitely as I know these will come up year after year in the open.  I can’t believe I got more last year, something is off and I need to fix it – mostly I’m sure the added kilos I’m holding on to at the moment.

Cam rightfully won this one and I’m so proud of him for this one and overall for the Open in general.  Nice work babe but watch out, next year I’m coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment