Monday, October 10, 2011

10/10 - Shoulders and DU's

Pre-WOD - 100's workout
DU's for time
2:40

New PR - 32 DU's in a row, up from 26 on Saturday.  It's nice to have this skill now - makes the WOD's with the lower reps of DU's easier to bang out. Such as...

WOD #1
5 x 3 reps shoulder press
18-28-33(fail)-33(fail)-30.5(fail)

In hindsight I should have gone from 28kg to 30.5kg but the 28kg didn't feel so bad and since my brain still works in pounds bumping up by '5' didn't seem like such I big deal - it was (equivalent of 10ish pound)... I got 2.5 reps but couldn't get that last bit - I was determined to try again though before decreasing the weight and this was my downfall.  I have no doubt I could get 30.5kg if I hadn't struggled with the 33.  Next time it's all mine!  Regardless - new PR.  It's funny too - you really just want to add that little hitch into the press to get it up but since they were strict shoulder presses you couldn't - Dom had a good chuckle a couple of times when my feet were wanting to come off the ground.

WOD #2
3 rounds for time
10 push presses (45/30kg Rx)
20 DU's
200m run
6:57 (28kg push presses)

Match told me that I'd be able to do 28kg "no problem" as I'd done it on the strict shoulder presses.  He recommended either 23kg (more of a sprint) or 28kg (more of a struggle - my words).  I chose to go heavier as the 200m runs would slow me down anyway (still not a fast runner - ugh!).  It was hard - I got the first 10 push presses and nailed the DU's (20 in a row!) to catch up to Ross out the door - Ross is tall - Ross has loooong strides - Ross pulled away from me on every step - Ross is (thankfully) on my team for the Affiliate Cup.  200m was just long enough to be painful and realize how tired my shoulders were starting to feel before hitting it all over again.  Sets 2 and 3 I did 2x5 reps of the push presses - still pretty solid for that weight.  Struggled a bit on the DU's but still managed good chunks at a time which is awesome (see Pre-WOD above!)

WOD #3
100 sit ups for time
2:43

We did the last week or the one before and I got 2:53 so I was aiming to be faster.  I was sharing a mat with Match and he went out super fast - I was thinking it was crazy - that there's no way I could keep up and that he'd smash the time but he struggled halfway through - he also did the workout once already today.  I kept that steady pace, hit halfway about 1:25 and then sprinted the last 20 to try and beat the clock.  Still hurts but I swear I have some pretty solid abs hiding somewhere.

Today was good but I'm ready for more, recovered after doing nothing yesterday which felt good... yes, this is an addiction.  A pretty positive addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment