Monday, October 3, 2011

The Jac-Jack WOD - Saturday in the Park

Another Saturday Crossfit session at City Beach.  Tim was supposed to be coaching and we'd met earlier in the week to discuss the WOD that I'd made up (see post below).  I got woken up by a text at midnight the night before from him telling me that Jack would be coaching as Tim couldn't make it.

Started off the WOD with a good warm-up.  Jack was great at taking charge and clearly explaining things to the group many of whom were new to Crossfit.  He however followed this by a nasty sprint to the corner of the field, up the hill, around two trees and back.  I knew that this was to set the groups but it hurt all the same.

WOD #2 (groups of 4)
all 4 - walking lunges from the cricket pitch to the playground wall
150 air squats (as a team) shared however you want
everyone runs back to the cricket pitch (teams stay together)
all 4 - backwards crab walk from the cricket pitch to the playground wall
150 tricep dips on the wall (as a team) shared however you want
everyone runs back to the cricket pitch (teams stay together)
all 4 - burpee broad jumps from the cricket pitch to the playground wall
150 box jumps on the wall (as a team) shared however you want
everyone runs back to the cricket pitch (teams stay together)
in pairs - wheelbarrow from the cricket pitch to the playground wall
150 pushups (as a team) shared however you want - Didn't do these

Decided to move the start halfway to the wall (rather than from the cricket pitch which was quite far).  I don't really know how it happened but it seemed that the first group asked for/ started doing the 150 reps as a group rather than one person working at a time.  It was okay as people were getting a workout but it was also a little disappointing as the camaraderie  that I was hoping for in the groups changed - rather than 3 people encouraging/ cheering for one person everyone was just going about their business so that was a bit of a fail.  On the plus side however everyone thought it was quite hard and had a good time I think working through it.

Personally, I struggled with the backward crab walk - it really out a strain on my shoulder - I think the weight and the angle more than anything as I had no problem with bear crawls and the wheelbarrow - which I walked all of (stopping only once halfway).  I also jumped the box jumps on the wall which is an improvement over previous workouts.

WOD #3 (groups of 4)
40 reps (each person) sit up med ball pass in teams

There were no medicine balls for this as Jack didn't get a chance to pick them up so we just did high fives which worked equally as well and was quite fun as you could hear the other teams counting so it was a little competitive.  I liked this one.

WOD #4
4 minute AMRAP
run/weave around 5 trees
then 1 situp, 1 pushup, 1 squat
2 situps, 2 pushups, 2 squates
3...  keep going
at 2 minutes run/weave around 5 trees  and continue reps

I got 8/ 8 (8 full rounds plus 8 pushups)

Was fun though the first all out sprint around the trees with everyone going at once was a little chaotic - fun, but chaotic.

It was a good day, great WOD's.  Interesting knowing what's coming and that it was me who was challenging all the people who chose to come out that day.  I'm glad it wasn't until the end that Match told people that I'd made up the workout - and it was good that I did it so that people couldn't hate me for it... haha.

Afterwards, we were an attractive bunch (tongues out) for the group photo.

Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment